Vermiculite for sowing?

• 8 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Vermiculite for sowing?
« on: January 19, 2014, 20:32 »
Just read an article about successfully sowing pepper seeds.  It said the best germination rates came from compost and then vermiculite to cover the seeds.  Is this likely to make a big difference to germination?  I'll buy a small bag of it if it's worth the expense but I'd planned on using just compost and a sprinkle of compost on top of the seeds.

Would welcome any comments.

TIA

Adri

Totty

Re: Vermiculite for sowing?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 21:11 »
I use loads of vermiculite. It's perfect for giving smaller seeds, that generally like to be sown shallower, a really easy break to the surface, as well as letting some light through. It doesn't cap as easily as compost either and is just as useful for using in compost mixes to improve air and moisture retention levels, as well as giving the plants a more friable compost to get there roots into.
Try to get as fine grade as you can though.

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 21:31 »
I've never used it, and I haven't noticed anything not germinating because I didn't use it.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 22:23 »
I would worry about putting it on top and wouldn't but it purely got that reason.

It's good in a mix as totty said though.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:31 »
I had seeds that grew upside down last year and it was only the ones that I sprinkled with vermiculite  :(

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 11:28 »
I had seeds that grew upside down last year and it was only the ones that I sprinkled with vermiculite  :(

somehow I doubt it was the vermicullite - maybe the seed tray was located in a gravity vortex  :lol:

With regards to chilli and pepper seed sowing, I chit them in damp tissue in a warm place and plant in compost with a thin layer of vermicullite on top.  The vermicullite really does stop the surface of the compost from getting a coating of algae and going hard and matted.

Agatha

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23 »
I only ever use compost for my peppers and usually end up with far too many and begging everyone who comes to the house to take some spare plants, but I do start them off in a propagator.  If you haven't had enough seeds germinate in the past then it might be worth trying vermiculite.  As the others have said, it is also good in mixes. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

savbo

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 14:02 »
If you decide it's for you, then look at getting one of the absolutely huge bags (100l) and splitting it with friends - works out a fraction of the cost

sav

sion01

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 20:33 »
Ive used it for years for any seeds that are surface sown as i feel it helps keep the seed in contact with the soil and retains moisture around the seed.Anything that requires shallow sowing gets the fine grade vermiculite too.Ive also experimented with seeds that should be planted a bit deeper and are normaly slow to germinate and all have been happy to germinate when surface sown with a covering of vermiculite.Parsley does very well when ive sown itlike this

xx
Sowing seeds in vermiculite

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 20:34
by richyrich7
xx
vermiculite

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 06:42
by celjaci
xx
Vermiculite

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 10:03
by A Reyt Tayty
xx
vermiculite

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 20:27
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 38 queries.