Broad bean germination problem

• 29 Replies

al78

Broad bean germination problem
« on: December 14, 2013, 22:31 »
Back in October I sowed some broad beans (Aguadulce) direct in the ground on my plot and not one single bean has come up. I also sowed some in pots in late October/early November and put them in a cloche greenhouse in my back garden, again, nothing has germinated. Have I done something badly wrong or could I possibly have a dud packet of seeds?

The garlic seems to have had no problems.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Broad bean germination problem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 22:35 »
They germinate no problem normally so i think you may have done something wrong as I doubt a whole packet could be dud. I find they are really hardy and will germinate in most conditions. 

Have you planted them before?  How many are you talking about? How old were they? Had you sowed any of the seeds in the packet before?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 22:36 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

al78

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 22:46 »
They germinate no problem normally so i think you may have done something wrong as I doubt a whole packet could be dud. I find they are really hardy and will germinate in most conditions. 

Have you planted them before?  How many are you talking about? How old were they? Had you sowed any of the seeds in the packet before?

No this is the first time I have tried broad beans. I've sown about three quarters of the packet in total. I bought them earlier this year (back in the summer). No I hadn't opened the packet until I did the first October sowing on the plot. When those failed to do anything I then tried sowing in pots.

gavinjconway

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 23:04 »
mmmmm - strange?? Too wet would rot them - too dry would offer them to the rats to dig out and nibble but doubt it was rats.

Do a germination test - Try to germinate some in damp/moist kitchen paper towels in a plastic bag or container placed in the boiler / airing cupboard or somewhere warm. Soak them for about 6-8 hours before placing in-between the paper towels.  They should germinate within a few days.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:16 »
mmmmm - strange?? Too wet would rot them - too dry would offer them to the rats to dig out and nibble but doubt it was rats.

Do a germination test - Try to germinate some in damp/moist kitchen paper towels in a plastic bag or container placed in the boiler / airing cupboard or somewhere warm. Soak them for about 6-8 hours before placing in-between the paper towels.  They should germinate within a few days.

Good advice.

Seeds may well have rotted - occasionally mice enjoy them so that's their lot.

Trying a few indoors (not too wet) should tell you if it was the seed or how they were grown.

No luck this time? Contact seed supplier and tell them.
Good luck
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

al78

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 17:27 »
Ok thanks, will try the indoors method.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 21:19 »
Have you dug up any of the seeds to see what they are doing. You will be able to see if they have rotted, made roots but are not above ground, vanished or are just sitting there doing nothing. Try those in pots first as these will be easier to locate.

barley

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 17:52 »
I start mine off in toilet roll tubes in the green house - don't have the soil to wet
once through you can plant the whole loo roll tube straight into the ground  ;)

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 19:16 »
Sowed Mine in greenhouse in fibre pots early Nov now beginning to show

noshed

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 16:49 »
Have a dig around - they might have germinated but a bit too deep
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Michael D

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 17:49 »
hi Iv had problems with mine as well not one thas came up, sown in pots in a cold frame.  i plan to sow another lot indoors first, but this time i am going to start them on some tissue first, hope to have luck this time . will let you all know how they go.

gavinjconway

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 19:19 »
Broadies are the least needed seed to be pre-chitted.. I just throw them in the ground or start in pots... I have had 100% germination the 2 years I have planted them. Strange that these problems are about..

Basically Too wet or too dry.. or bad seed - but even bad seed should still get the odd one growing.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 19:20 by gavinjconway »

barley

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 20:18 »
to wet is usually the problem - they will just rot

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 09:28 »
Although there is a link to very useful information about seed germination temperatures available via "Growing FAQ's and other information" > Very useful internet links > Germination Temperatures in these forums, the table doesn't specifically include broad beans.
THIS excellent article from the Realseeds Company does.  :)

For what it's worth my local weather station currently reports the soil temperature as 5C, which is bang on the lower limit at which broad bean germination is likely to occur (eventually!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 10:38 »
I use the allotment guru's method.

Terry Walton says put them in bags with very slight moist compost and pop them somewhere warm for about 5 days then check to see if the sprut has appeared (then everyday), once sprutted he pops them in polystyrene cups, personally i put them in root trainers but this method works well and the vast majority will germinate.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
broad bean germination

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2020, 17:09
by Yorkie
xx
Broad bean problem

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:30
by A Reyt Tayty
thumbdown
BROAD BEAN PROBLEM

Started by DAVER on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 23:35
by Salmo
xx
Broad bean problem

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 15:29
by lauren

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 39 queries.