girls eating pooh!!!!

• 7 Replies

kellym

girls eating pooh!!!!
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:09 »
please help......i was out collecting my eggs this morning when i noticed my one girl eating pooh  :ohmy: is this something to worry about?? i pooh pick everyday so there is never a vast amount in thier run. they are wormed every 4 weeks. they both eat a good amount and have food ot hand all day so why would she choose to eat her pooh????
any help is always welcome.

happy 2011 to everyone  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: girls eating pooh!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:24 »
what are you worming them with for it to need to be done every 4 weeks?
Happy New Year to you as well  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

kellym

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48 »
we worm them with verm-x pellets its says on the packet every month. do you do something different?

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 10:55 »
sadly vermx does not kill worms from a bird that has them, it is only a herbal treatment to help prevent. You need to worm your chickens with flubenvet which is scientifically proven to kill all types of worms including gape worm. If your hens free range you should do this about 3 times a year otherwise twice a year will be sufficient.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:58 »
Generally eating unusual things is a sign of mineral deficiency or boredom, but more likely the first.  Try putting seaweed meal on offer in a small feeder - this should contain the full range of minerals and trace elements needed, and if it is or has become a habit offer a diversion with interesting things to peck at such as a cabbage hung on a string or vegetable peelings.

All the best and Happy New Year
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

kellym

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:02 »
thanks for that joyfull i have so much to learn still. was told by the place we got them that the verm-x done everything  :( trip out to get the other stuff tomorrow it is then. i dont think that they are bored they have plenty to keep them amused, i dont know why she has started doing it???

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:09 »
make sure they are on a good quality feed which should contain all the necessary nutirents they require, some people give extras such as a tonic, poultry spice, garlic, fruit (not citrus), sweetcorn, apple cider vinegar (the horse stuff not the supermarket stuff) and in times of moult some increase the amount of protein. You can give them some mixed corn in the late afternoon and always have oyster shell and some poultry grit available.
I get my flubenvet from my vets but some vets seem to charge an awful lot for this so make sure you shop around - prices can vary an awful lot.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 12:26 »
It's a bit yucky, but it may be your girls have got worms and there were dead worms in the pooh. 

As Joy says Vermx is not a proper wormer and Flubenvet is the stuff to get.  I bought my last lot online from these guys http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/search_results.asp?sec=134&category=Wormers.  Very fast service and good prices  :)

xx
pooh eating persists?!?

Started by kellym on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 10:14
by kellym
xx
The Girls Are Egg Eating! What To Do

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 20:11
by AL Hathaway
xx
Girls eating snails!

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 11:15
by agingchick
xx
help, 10 day chicks abandonned, think the other girls are eating them!!!

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 13:21
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 30 queries.