Is this normal behaviour?

• 19 Replies

uba

• Experienced Member
Re: Is this normal behaviour?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:34 »
I like the sound of that HF, I only have one of those little ebay coops but i might fit a couple more hens in  :)
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 07:57 »
remember though you need lots more run space to accommodate the extra hens, also make sure the coop has adequate ventilation  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55 »
they have a good section of the garden fenced off for them, the coop with the run built on is just for sleeping and provides cover for the feeder and gritter. With hindsight I would have bought just a chicken house with a bit more perch area. The built in run bits rubbish to be honest.

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:53 »
they have a good section of the garden fenced off for them, the coop with the run built on is just for sleeping and provides cover for the feeder and gritter. With hindsight I would have bought just a chicken house with a bit more perch area. The built in run bits rubbish to be honest. 

The runs attached to the usual ebay house is usually just for show.  Marketeers have figured out it's people who buy chicken houses not chickens :)  As joy says ventillation is important and 12 in a square metre you are not talking large breeds like sussex or orps and cocks but bantams or small hybrid hens.  Also if you have a tent like coop you need to discount around a third of the floor area in the corners as unusable, a point often overlooked.
Best wishes
HF
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:56 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08 »
I dont know how to link the ones i am looking at but its the ones shaped like a house (human house). Selling around 80 quid or so. They seem to have a proper vent hole near the top which is something mine didnt. We have the one that looks like a rabbit hutch and frankly our rabbit would turn his nose up at it. He has a cat carrier in the corner of the shed to sleep in and has the whole garden to run around in during day.

xx
Chicken behaviour-tackling fellow birds?

Started by caroline17 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:48
by caroline17
xx
Am I normal????

Started by calamityjane77 on Chicken Chat

26 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 08:17
by joyfull

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 38 queries.