Why can't some veg be planted near each other?

• 7 Replies

Kagganz

« on: January 09, 2009, 06:35 »
I am container growing this year and have been thinking what I am growing and where.  

I have read somewhere that certain veg should NOT be planted together/near each other.

Does  this rule apply when growing in containers or is it a soil issue that only matters on lotties?

I think I read onions and carrots shouldn't be planted together (could be wrong as I can't find the book now).

I hope I've explained myself 'cos I do ramble on  :?

Any info at all would be really welcome   :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41 »
its not a problem in containers, as as you say, its a soil thing...hence the roation required on a plot. Conatiners use new soil so thats ok, its not a problem here.
Onions and carrots are actually recommended to be planted together  :D  The carrot fly is 'supposed' to be fooled by the onion smell, so a lot of growers do plant them together.
I cant think of any problems planting anything close together in pots, as long as you dont overfill your pots of course!

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kagganz

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:45 »
Thank you Paula xx

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 13:55 »
We grew all our veg in containers as I have a very small garden, it was very successful, and we had some big crops.  The carrot was good, with no carrot fly.  We also had, various potatoes, leeks, onions, peas, runner and french beans, tomatoes, salad crops including rocket which I covered with fleece to keep the fly off.  Peppers, chillies, courgettes (which were useless).  I shall carefully change or re-use the soil elsewhere this spring.
Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

GreenOwl

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 14:00 »
Its not just the soil, some plants benefit from being grown near each other and other definitely don't.  Some plants inhibit the germination of others.  I can't think of any examples at the moment but have a search on "Companion Planting" and you should find some examples of plants NOT to plant near each other as well as those that do well together.

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 14:34 »
The only bad combination that is relevent to what I grow  is alliums and beans. I have a feeling there may be another combination that I didn't bother to remember. I will try and remember to check later.

Beans are good to grow with most things, just not alliums. On an allotment where you want to use a traditional rotation scheme it isn't practical to grow beans with everything, but there is no such problem with containers.

Incidentally onions grown inbetween carrots is supposed to deter both carrot and onion flies, so good to grow together not bad.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

GreenOwl

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 14:41 »
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=12985&highlight=companion+planting

Knew there was a discussion on this before (well a number but I think this is the most useful one.

Kagganz

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 16:06 »
Oooh thank you all, my plan was 4 lots of 5 big containers.

1 in the centre with a tall climbing plant and then four other containers on each corner of the middle one with roots in.  

Thought it would look pretty  :wink:

Then I'm trying toms, courgettes, cucumbers and sweetcorn in the greenhouse (will these be okay together?)

Oh and then I need some room for my potatoes.....all of 'em  :oops:

I can hear you laughing !!!!!!!!

Well nothing ventured nothing gained  :lol:

xx
ive just planted/set....

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 22:34
by gobs
xx
what can be planted now?

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:12
by RosieMay
xx
What can be planted out.....

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 09:47
by sazzy123
xx
What have you planted already????

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 10:03
by jaxter

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 39 queries.