Have I made a mistake?

• 6 Replies

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
Have I made a mistake?
« on: May 09, 2011, 20:45 »
Having recently installed three Dalek compost bins I have been merrily filling them with waste from the plot, but also any weeds that I have dug up or hoed off. Will this be ok??  ???

Nikkithefoot

Re: Have I made a mistake?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 20:48 »
As long as the weeds are small annual ones you should be fine. Any perennial ones such as bindweed, couch grass or those with long tap roots beware as your heap probably won't get hot enough to destroy them, also don't put any weed seed heads on for the same reason.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 20:54 »
I would try and fill each 'dalek' in turn rather than (if I am reading your communication correctly) a little in each.  A larger amount of green matter will heat up quicker and rot down faster, - up, down,  ahh the English language !  Then start to fill the second and turn the first bin over into the third and topping up.   .   :ohmy:   GOT THAT ?  ?  ?  Cheers,  :D  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 20:57 »
I would try and fill each 'dalek' in turn rather than (if I am reading your communication correctly) a little in each.  A larger amount of green matter will heat up quicker and rot down faster, - up, down,  ahh the English language !  Then start to fill the second and turn the first bin over into the third and topping up.   .   :ohmy:   GOT THAT ?  ?  ?  Cheers,  :D  Tony.

Thanks Tony, your correct i have been filling two of th three Daleks little by little, i will transfer it all into one Dalek to speed up the heating process, also I have been adding a little chiken manure pellets inbetween layers.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 20:58 »
As long as the weeds are small annual ones you should be fine. Any perennial ones such as bindweed, couch grass or those with long tap roots beware as your heap probably won't get hot enough to destroy them, also don't put any weed seed heads on for the same reason.

Ah good news! Nothing nasty gone in, except dandelion heads??? :(

Sal1610

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 20:59 »
I've been putting hoed off green stuff in my compost bin but not the roots - e.g leaves off creeping buttercup, nettles, etc, but chucking the roots, as I thought the things to avoid were seed heads and roots of the nasties like grass, bindweed, buttercup. I think the main thing is as Kleftiwallah syas, get each one filled up in turn to give them the best chance of heating up.

Sal

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 21:08 »
I've been putting hoed off green stuff in my compost bin but not the roots - e.g leaves off creeping buttercup, nettles, etc, but chucking the roots, as I thought the things to avoid were seed heads and roots of the nasties like grass, bindweed, buttercup. I think the main thing is as Kleftiwallah syas, get each one filled up in turn to give them the best chance of heating up.

Sal

thanks Sal.

xx
Anyone else made this mistake?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2016, 10:37
by Growster...
xx
Have I made a mistake?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2020, 16:42
by Mr Dog
angry
OOPS! made a mistake

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 21:19
by Yorkie
xx
Growing raspberries, think I have made a big mistake!

Started by KG_Novice on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 19:11
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.