Outdoor cucumbers in cold frame

• 8 Replies

Njal

Outdoor cucumbers in cold frame
« on: March 13, 2011, 21:08 »
Hi,
I am going to grow some outdoor cucumbers this year which I will seed indoors at the end of April and plant out in June.
I was wondering if I could grow some in a cold frame now, or fairly soon.

Greenhouse cukes would go in in June-ish, but as these are outdoor variety but being grown in the cold frame could they go in earlier?

Also, the cold frame is a new addition so any suggestions of what could go in there welcome!

Thanks.

Trillium

Re: Outdoor cucumbers in cold frame
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 21:18 »
cukes are very cold sensitive regardless of what they're called, and it might still be a bit early to plant them out even in a cold frame.

Keep an eye on your local weather and when it starts to get generally warmer and sunnier, you can get them into the frame.

Until the cukes go in, you can do early lettuce in the cold frame, or spinach which loves it cool and the frame will keep it free of hungry critters.

Njal

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 21:27 »
Ok, thanks.
I might do it as experiment. Seed them indoors now and into the frame in 3 or 4 weeks maybe.

Lettuce are a good idea, I will definately put a few in.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 21:45 »
A lot of the summer crops (like sweetcorn, runner beans, and tomatoes) will just sulk if subjected to temperatures too cool for their liking; cucumbers, even outdoor ridge types, don't waste time sulking, they just die!

You've obviously got a "plan B" so presumably won't mind if the experiment fails; in my experience you are still about a month too early to be trying this, especially where you are.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 22:10 »
I agree jay yet B&Q are already selling pots of cues and melons :mad:

My neighbour bought some and put them on her window ledge and when they died she asked me why :(

andy135

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 22:38 »
I agree jay yet B&Q are already selling pots of cues and melons :mad:

My neighbour bought some and put them on her window ledge and when they died she asked me why :(

B & Q will sell anything to make a profit.
This year I am growing outdoor Q's for the first time but I wont put the seeds in untill the end of the month.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34 »
End of the month for me as well. Even that's a bit earlier than I usually do, but I do have a heated greenhouse for them to go into.

They're expensive seed, marked at £7.99 a packet, but I do have two of them, one as a backup as they only cost 50p in Wyevale's sale!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 07:24 »
I might do it as experiment. Seed them indoors now and into the frame in 3 or 4 weeks maybe.

Don't waste your money, delay until they will be able to go out when the temperatures are warm enough

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 14:08 »
Cukes germinate and grow so fast I would leave it until mid April before sewing - you will have a much better chance of them surviving then. As has been said before Cukes just love to die on you if you give them any chance at all.   :tongue2:   But I still love them and will be growing them both indoors and outdoors this year.  :lol:

xx
Outdoor cucumbers..Ramble or Frame?

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 19:11
by compostqueen
xx
Outdoor cucumbers

Started by Ann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 22:45
by Ann
xx
outdoor cucumbers

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 02:27
by Paul Plots
xx
outdoor cucumbers

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 07:28
by snow white

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 37 queries.