Potato advice please

• 2 Replies

jmx

Potato advice please
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:22 »
I have just started digging up my first earlies (I got them in a bit late!) they are lovely, but are quite big for earlies (they obviously caught up!) :D .  My first question is should I dig them all up now and store them, or just dig them as required?  I have also got in second earlies, and main crop.  A local farmer friend has warned me that because my veg patch has just been dug where there was previously grass, I should not leave my main crop in too long as they will become a victim of wire worm.  What do you'all reccommend?
'just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you!'

WG.

Potato advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:32 »
Dig earlies as required unless you need the ground.  They will green quickly in light so keep in the dark if you do dig.

Wireworm can be a problem in old grassland.  A green manure of mustard dug in the season before planting potatoes is the organic method.

Try http://www.organic.aber.ac.uk/library/Wireworm%20control%20and%20brassica%20green%20manures.pdf for some background reading.

jmx

Potato advice please
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:48 »
Thanks for that WG, the farmer friend I spoke to thought most of the damage would be done later in the main crop growing season, so it may be possible to avoid the worst by digging the main crop up early.  Well I've missed the opportunity to try digging in the mustard, so I'll check the main crop regularly to see if any damage is occuring.  There was virtually no damage to my first earlies.  Perhaps I don't have wire worm (I know I have slugs!)

xx
Potato advice

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 21:35
by Ice
xx
New to this and HELP I need Potato advice.

Started by kingers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 21:58
by Yorkie
xx
Potato Advice

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:16
by cloudcooking
xx
Potato advice please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 21:10
by New shoot

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 36 queries.