What is this?

• 13 Replies

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
What is this?
« on: July 06, 2020, 13:17 »
Hi, any idea what this is. I think it may be perennial purple sprouting broccoli but not sure? Have tried digging it out but keeps coming back? Thanks
20200705_142140_kindlephoto-850885.jpg

Kleftiwallah

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 15:35 »
Good afternoon Learnerlady,

you could always just leave it and see what turns up and then let us all know!!  Not like the Mare's tail I see peeping out from behind your plant.  Better get digging, or cutting the tails off below ground level as you will never get rid of it completely.

Cheers,   Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 20:03 »
Hi Tony,
I did think of that but its a new plot and this is one of the first beds and has other crops I planted growing. It looks like it could get quite big and there are several appearing in the row and im concerned they will take nutrients etc from these crops so don't want to leave if not a crop. Yes, the mairs tail is pretty bad, i posted about it earlier but know i will have to live with a certain amount. Found out the chap that had the plot  next door on the allotment is giving it up after spending all year seemingly growing it so i've got no chance. This was one of the reasons i moved plots this year as previous neighbour did the same. I really like this one though so am just getting on with it using every suggestion ive read about, including pulling 😄🐝🍓🌷

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 08:15 »
It could well be seakale.

If you buy it, you get a piece of root sent to you to plant.  If you want it gone, you will need to be very thorough about digging it out. 

It does get quite large, but it is an edible. I grow it and like it.  You can blanch it in the spring for tender pale shoots. I also pick young leaves just for greens  :)

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 19:53 »
Hi Newshoot,
Interesting suggestion, I did think I had dug deep so maybe your right, I may let it grow a bit bigger. I know the chap who had the plot before liked to grow slightly different to the "usual" thanks 👍

Hortic

Re: horse tails
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 22:15 »
Why do people write that hoeing off mares tails gets rid? it doesn't! It only breaks further down and comes back, double the trouble. You're pruning it! Horse tails go very deep and either you dig very very very deep when you first come onto the plot and remove it all, or you spot treat. I recommend Kurtail Evo. Spot treat, spot treat any new growth, and keep at it and it kills it. Take time to get rid and stop making the problem worse by pulling or hoeing it off.
While I'm being pedantic, mares tails (Hippurus vulgaris) grow in water or boggy conditions, horse tails (Equisetum arvense) grow on land.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:31 »
Hortic, the reason hoeing is advised is because it weakens the plant - it doesn't allow it to become vigorous through active photosynthesis by large leaves.  We do not say that hoeing kills the plant which is, as we have pointed out, prehistoric in age and thus clearly has survival instincts that outlived the dinosaurs.  It's about finding a way to coexist with it, and hoeing is proved to work for that purpose.

The weedkiller you mention is for professional use only and thus cannot be advised or recommended on this forum.

Whilst you are right about the distinction between two plants, which has been rehearsed previously on here, this is an amateur forum and we happily use the terms interchangeably - everyone knows what we are referring to.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 09:51 »
I would add that a previous plot neighbour spent a lot of money on Kurtail and used it despite not being a professional.  It all came up again the next year.
We got rid of most of it by digging it out and sifting the soil.  We only did that as the plot was full or rubble, broken glass and old carpet that couldn't be planted in.
It still makes a comeback now though and I just yank it out wherever it appears.  Most things grow alongside it.
Never rotovate a plot that has it though. It makes it worse.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 19:52 »
Hello can I ask how people are getting Kurtail weedkiller as it's only available commercially and any one buying it must have a  PA1 and PA 6 certificate and show it also their holding number without either of these it is illegal to purchase any  Kurtail in any form   jezza

dayxday

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 21:20 »
Hi, any idea what this is. I think it may be perennial purple sprouting broccoli but not sure? Have tried digging it out but keeps coming back? Thanks

Looks a lot like kohlrabi - have a look at some pictures to compare.  You can eat the leaves as well as the root.

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 09:15 »

Looks a lot like kohlrabi - have a look at some pictures to compare.  You can eat the leaves as well as the root.

Doubt it's Kohlrabi, that would be very unlikely to come back.

I'd agree with New Shoot that it's probably sea kale (or sea cabbage - mine has slightly less frilly leaves).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 19:04 by Mr Dog »

CSChris89

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 19:26 »
Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s Sea Kale too, good shout New Shoot.

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 20:12 »
Hello can I ask how people are getting Kurtail weedkiller as it's only available commercially and any one buying it must have a  PA1 and PA 6 certificate and show it also their holding number without either of these it is illegal to purchase any  Kurtail in any form   jezza

You can buy it on Ebay

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 21:02 »

You can buy it on Ebay

Maybe so, but jezza is right.  It is licensed for professional use only, so if you do not have the relevant training and certification, buying it is not something we would endorse on the forum.

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 51 queries.