Potato advice please

• 3 Replies

Grubbypaws

Potato advice please
« on: July 20, 2020, 10:16 »
I grow Jazzy potatoes as I can lift them when needed treating them as second earlies and early mains. This year however they have got bad blight and action is needed. If I lift them all we will be swamped.

My question: if I cut down the infected foliage and leave them in the ground for 10 days, as I do with my maincrop, will they keep better?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 17:18 by Grubbypaws »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Poatao advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:39 »
The RHS says
■When infection levels reach about 25 percent of leaves affected or marks appear on stems cut off the foliage (haulm), severing the stalks near soil level and raking up debris. When the skin on tubers has hardened, after about two weeks, the tubers can be dug up. To prevent slug damage avoid leaving tubers in the soil after this time
■Use the tubers from blighted crops as soon as possible, checking any stored tubers regularly for decay
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=217

Grubbypaws

Re: Poatao advice please
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:47 »
The RHS says
■When infection levels reach about 25 percent of leaves affected or marks appear on stems cut off the foliage (haulm), severing the stalks near soil level and raking up debris. When the skin on tubers has hardened, after about two weeks, the tubers can be dug up. To prevent slug damage avoid leaving tubers in the soil after this time
■Use the tubers from blighted crops as soon as possible, checking any stored tubers regularly for decay
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=217

Thanks for this MOS. I wasnt sure if it would be the same for 2nd earlies.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato advice please
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 21:10 »
I stored Jazzy last year and they kept reasonably well.  They did start to sprout a few weeks before the stored main crops.  They were lifted in the autumn with the main crops, so the skins were pretty well developed.

That is not much to go on I know, but I guess the message is to treat them like the mains if you want them to keep, but eat them first  :)

xx
Potato advice please

Started by jmx on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 12:48
by jmx
xx
Potato Advice

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 11:16
by cloudcooking
xx
Potato advice please

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2011, 18:11
by arugula
xx
Potato Advice

Started by rustygman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 15:17
by Aidy

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 44 queries.