Pruning fruit trees

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Pruning fruit trees
« on: July 19, 2020, 13:08 »
Our new bungalow has a few fruit trees which were severely cut over winter. They now have lots of branches so I need advice on how and when to prune them so they can bear fruit next year.
Orchard in January.jpg
Orchard 1.jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Pruning fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 00:33 »
Growing apple trees is maintaining a balance between growth and fruitfulness.   Following the severe pruning last winter, there has been an excess of growth which, if left unpruned, will reduce fruitfulness.   There are two types of production, tip-bearing or spur-bearing.   Tip-bearing apples only produce fruit at the ends of branches so that drastic pruning for fruit could result in the fruiting buds at the end of branches being cut off, but most apple trees are spur-bearing, so it is best to assume that yours are spur-bearing.   Identify which are the main branches of your bush tree aiming for a widely spaced bush of wineglass shape.   Then all branches coming off the main branches should be treated as sideshoots and drastically pruned to three leaves beyond the basal cluster - see RHS website for pruning a cordon treating each branch as the main cordon.   This will create spurs with fruiting buds.   Apple trees should be completely free of weeds or competing grass for a circle of half a metre radius around the trunk, so dig shallowly around the tree to leave bare soil and then cover with a mulch to retain moisture.   Only when well-established and fruiting well should grass be allowed to grow around the trunk to reduce growth and encourage fruiting.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:08 »
This old thread should help, as the advise hasn't changed :)
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=126136.msg1478444#msg1478444

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 13:35 »
Thanks for that. It's difficult to identify any main branches as they're shooting up from everywhere. I'll see if I can find the thickest ones and do as you advised. What time of year should I do it? Should I cut out any branches (they're more like stems) going into the middle so there's a better airflow?

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 23:50 »
Either now or next month.   Choose your main branches to be the strongest outward growing branches and treat all offshoots from these as sideshoots.   There should not be a need to cut out branches entirely if you adopt this approach.   In the spring, give the tree around 3oz of Growmore or equivalent

xx
Pruning fruit trees

Started by imarr17 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:36
by Yorkie
clip
Pruning Fruit Trees

Started by Shambayango on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 20, 2023, 13:01
by Shambayango
xx
Pruning Fruit Trees?

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2023, 20:38
by Yorkie
clip
pruning fruit trees for a first timer

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2015, 19:01
by 3759allen

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 40 queries.