Incubator and broody

• 7 Replies

Rubellite

Incubator and broody
« on: June 12, 2009, 22:18 »
Lottie has been sitting on eggs for probably 10 days now. So secured the ark, dusted it with Diatom, made her up a bed and moved her, lock stock and barrel last night with the eggs. Ordered 6 eggies which duly arrived this morning only to find that she really doesn't like the new quarters and has been strutting up and down all day trying to get out. Relented and let her out  :(  this evening as she'd clearly taken umbrance to the idea.

Now, also have an incy all fired up and raring to go with some duckie eggs about to go in it. Realise that chicks take 21 days and ducklings 28 - but is there any way I can mix the eggs in the incy without jeopardising one lot or the other? Or have I just bought an expensive omelette? ::)

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Incubator and broody
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 22:26 »
You could try putting the duck eggs in now and the chicks in a week but they need slightly different conditionas and I'm not sure how much difference it would make. Don't know if compromising would just result in you losing the lot. Also not fab to keep the hen eggs waiting a wekk.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 22:26 »
hmmmm I wouldn't mix them really, you can until the chicken eggs are a week from hatching then if your broody is sat tight ,slip them under her,so basically using the broody as a hatcher, but a bit earlier so she can sort the eggs out.
At this point, you would also have weeded out the non-fertile eggs. Leave the duck eggs in the incy then increase humidity when they have started to pip. :)

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 22:38 »
Hmmm. I'll have to see how the land lies in the morning. :mellow:
Would you suggest I put her back into the ark?
The ark is within the electric fencing with the other chicken house as I am really not happy with the security of the pen - seems too easy for a fox to dig beneath it?
Would this put her off by being so close to the others, do you think?
Er, no, silly question as she was quite happy sharing the henhouse with the other girlies and commandeering the nest box.............  :unsure: sorry, thinking aloud :nowink:

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 22:46 »
well I have just done a similar thing, had a broody cochin in the main henhouse, popped her in an ark, she wasn't too happy but I kept in in all night and most of the following day (with the pop hole closed) then let her out that evening. Put her back and closed the ark, the next day she was fine. Once they get sorted on the eggs, and "own" them, then a good broody will be fine :)

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 08:50 »
Ah. I opened the pophole as I was worried that she would get too hot!! :(

Vember

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:47 »
I have done as Foxy too, some birds you can move anywhere whilst broody others just hate it :(

I've just moved second lot of (standby) goose eggs and hen nearer the house I knew it would be touch and go as that particular hen can be funny.
Got the incys on standby and then moved her over she wasn't overly happy in the new house ( i could hear her complaining ),  but I didn't let her out till this morning. She came out did her stuff and went straight back on no probs :)

For the exact opposite when I get Cassey out for her to go loo and eat she'll stay sitting on the cold hard floor, I literally have to give her a push to get her moving :lol:

All individuals :D :lol:

Sarah :D

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 12:36 »
I have opened the end door of the ark (opposite the nestbox) and opened the pop hole. All the girls have been in to inspect, I hope that Lottie will decide that it is ok to sit in there. I have popped the eggs in the incy to start off and hopefully to move under her later on. Watch this space!!

xx
from incubator to broody??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 18:57
by Foxy
xx
from broody to incubator

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 00:04
by bedifferent
xx
broody incubator?

Started by scotty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 10:43
by scotty
question
Broody VS Incubator

Started by AL Hathaway on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2011, 11:19
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 35 queries.