Plans are a foot...

• 19 Replies

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 22:40 »
That's a 'dispatcher' They're not cheap.. i've looked too.

There is a method with a broomstick that you can swing the chicken from feet - gently rocking motion to settle it as much as possible.. lay the neck down on the round, and then put a broom stick over it (the handle part) .. stand on the stick either side, and this cuts off the oxygen then gently but enough.. don't ask me how much.. but you pull 'up' with the feet - apparantly the neck breaks, then the spinal cord. Chicken flaps but is dead once the cord is broken. :(
Sorry to be graphic, but the other method is by hand - similar but you pull down on the head till neck/cord snaps.. not sure i could do it by hand as i'd feel it and that'd freak me for ages i think. :(

poultrygeist

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 22:47 »
It may be just me, but I think if killing anything becomes too easy, it may not be such a healthy thing.
There are times when it has to be done but I'd not want it to be something I could do without thinking, or some feeling of regret.

Again, respect to anyone who has had to do it.

Rob

Kate and her Ducks

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 23:00 »
I skinned and gutted mine before putting him in the freezer. Was going to pluck him so as to waste as little as possible but just felt like I needed it to be over as quickly as possible. And once I'd cut his head off there was a bit of blood on them which also put me off. Once I don't feel so cringy about it all I shall be able to think about eating him knowing that he had a better and longer life than anything I could buy. :cry:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Plans are a foot...
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 23:03 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
I skinned and gutted mine before putting him in the freezer. Was going to pluck him so as to waste as little as possible but just felt like I needed it to be over as quickly as possible. And once I'd cut his head off there was a bit of blood on them which also put me off. Once I don't feel so cringy about it all I shall be able to think about eating him knowing that he had a better and longer life than anything I could buy. :cry:

Hmmm it's not easy is it.  At least we're all being realistic.  So many of my friends think the deed will be easy but they have no intentions on owning chickens.

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 23:06 »
I had to do that Kate on a survival course.. not nice, but it was essential. I was a veggie at the time too.

You are very right about the length of life. ((Hugs)) and Rob you are so right about if it were too easy it'd be unhealthy.

Fingers x'd i don't have to do it for a long long time.

xx
Cut Foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 17:55
by too many girls
xx
cut foot :(

Started by amyt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:04
by Hensington
xx
Cut Foot

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 18:20
by 3Bluebelles
xx
Hen with a pierced foot???

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 16:51
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 38 queries.