Plans are a foot...

• 19 Replies

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« on: June 11, 2008, 14:50 »
remember my hutch conversion.. just till later in the year when we got a bigger house or built one...

Well today we bought a project... a brand new dog kennel - with a door fitted to it. :)

1200x760x820 if my memory serves me right. :) Lid/roof is pitched and removes for cleaning. :) Planning on putting it outside the run with the door out into the garden (this will be the nesting area - the door used for egg collection and daily cleaning), and then put in a sliding door at the other end and a ramp into the run. :)

Bought wood to make a frame for it so it's up high and going to T&G this area for a shelter for the chooks in sun/rain/wind etc. :) this will tecnically be in the garden with one side open into the run. :)

Also fitting two perches, width wise one low and one higher (allowing for poo-ing space of course). :)

How many chooks would you say it'd hold? I'm reckoning 4-6... but aiming at 4 and 'you never know' for the ratio of up to 6.. :lol:

All this building can't be done till I get back from weekend away (leave on saturday). :) But i'm pleased with our purchase. :)

What size vent 'holes' do you put into the top? And how many for that size? There are 3 big holes in the door - those i plan to perspex over or mesh over.. thinking perspex as it'll be the laying area and they're low-ish down, so could lead to a draft if not closed up properly.

Any other tips? idea's that you can suggest?

Oh and sadly hubby is stopping me from painting it purple this time! :lol:

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Plans are a foot...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 15:21 »
Brilliant!  Best start looking for an incubator then!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 17:28 »
lol not yet... to be honest i'd have to work out what to do with any resulting cockerals first.. not a great idea when we are not allowed them.. :(

Looking forward to getting home and starting again with the house. :lol: we knew the other one wouldn't be around for long but I didn't think hubby would crack this early! :lol:

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Plans are a foot...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 18:00 »
Well we won't be able to have cockerals either so I'm steeling myself for that one because I want to be strong enough to do it myself.  I feel it's only fair. :(  :(  :(

My hubby was the same.  He won't admit it and moans all the time about them but I catch him watching the hens a lot and as for the chicks, well I think he's a pushover! :wink:  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 18:42 »
Quote from: "Fifitrix"
Well we won't be able to have cockerals either so I'm steeling myself for that one because I want to be strong enough to do it myself.  I feel it's only fair. :(  :(  :(

Know what you mean. I had to kill one of my drakes as he was getting very aggressive to all including myself. Knew I wasn't going to keep him forever, especially if I got drakelets but it was still very difficult. Even knowing they move after their necks are broken, didn't expect how much and I felt it break. Chopped his head off to be sure but still moving which at least reassured me that I hadn't done it wrong.  :cry:  Needed a stiff drink after. Took the advice I read somewhere here and put him in the freezer as not sure I could really face eating him immediately.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 19:27 »
You have my utmost respect kate.
And Fifitrix if you have to do it.
Not sure if I could do that, but never had to face it.

Well done.

Rob

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 19:42 »
I'm not ready for it.. have read up about a broom handle method.. which is my prefered method in my head now, if ever one of my girls is injured and needs putting out of misery that's what i'll be reaching for.

I can understand the respect point of view though that you owe it to the bird, and also then you know it was done with love. :) I know Muntjac etc will be groaning at me for being a chicken hugger :lol:

poultrygeist

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 20:08 »
Nowt wrong with having a relationship with an animal....as long as the animal doesn't mind of course  :shock:

I guess we could all do the necessary if called upon. But as Kate said, a stiff drink would be needed. I remember getting home from work and being shown a dove which the cat had set upon. It was my job to put it out of its misery, so I stole myself, but thankfully it had already died. Hopefully quickly.  :?

Rob

Ruby Red

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 20:54 »
I asked a neighbour with hens if I could "borrow "her hubby to do the deed if and when I need him. He does hers for her. I wouldnt have the confidence to know how to do it properly without causing stress to the hen.  :(
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

poultrygeist

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 21:00 »
Very good point Ruby. We've got GrannieAnnie's Brian pencilled in if needed. But I do feel I should try coem the day.

rob

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
Plans are a foot...
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 21:04 »
Do'ya'know, I've only just noticed your join date, Rob.  Did you have a VERY boring Christmas? :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Kate, will it be easier to pluck if it's been in the freezer or are you not intending to eat it?

The jury's out in the house.  I like to think I cross these bridges when I come to them.  :?

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 21:21 »
you freeze it fully feathered? i'd assume it'd have to be fully prepared before freezing.

Foxy

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 21:34 »
Had to shoot a rabbit this weekend who had mixxie - was horrible sat at the bottom of the stairs after and just cried.... :(  :(

Porffor

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 21:38 »
:cry: So sorry Foxy, but i'm sure it was quick and obviously the best thing for it. :( Paid our vet to put a guinea pig to sleep a couple of months ago and did the same thing.. left the vets crying like a kid, passed a women in the street who had no idea WHERE to look!  :roll:

too many girls

Plans are a foot...
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 22:13 »
i'm not sure i could kill one of my hens, my 14 yr old son assured me he would do it if necessary (absolutely necessary) untill my dad told him you have to be quite strong to wring a chickens neck, he said he would simply chop it's head off with an axe, when my dad told him it would run round the yard with no head on, Sam was worried and said he would have to go and  have a rethink, he came back with an announcement that e-bay sell a contraption ( bit like a nutcracker) that you put around the chicken between the head and the neck and simply squeeze, unfortunatly the bidding was 35 pounds, Sam's now saving his wages .......................

xx
Cut Foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 17:55
by too many girls
xx
cut foot :(

Started by amyt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:04
by Hensington
xx
Cut Foot

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 18:20
by 3Bluebelles
xx
Bumble Foot ???

Started by pammie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:17
by pammie

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 32 queries.