Is she moulting??

• 11 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
Is she moulting??
« on: December 10, 2010, 13:38 »
My grey speckeldy is completely bald around and under her vent, and looking a bit raggedy around the sides, she seems happy enough, think she is not laying these last few days but that could be down to the winter, does this sound like a moult and how much of their feathers can they lose and how long does it last, worried she'll get cold.

bantam novice

Re: Is she moulting??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 15:48 »
Hello there,
I'm not that experienced but to me it does sound like a partial moult at least.  If she is moulting she is unlikely to be laying and will be feeling a little under the weather.  I don't think you need to worry too much about the cold.  I have read some posts where the chickens look almost oven-ready but seem to survive.  I have also heared that if you are worried you can knit chicken jumpers to put over them but I'm not sure where you would find the pattern or how effective they would be.
Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 17:46 »
I've looked at some pictures and I think it could be a moult, but its mainly around her rear end and under between her legs, quite a large completely bald area?! quite worried really in case its something else.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 18:18 »
2 of my girls are like that & have been for some time.

I think it is because they are not on the perch at night & sleeping on the floor.

My 2 seem to do this, but the 1 on the perch isn't like this.

I keep trying to get them on the perch, but they won't.

This cold weather has got them all some nights huddled on the floor together.

I haven't had much of a change in egg laying though!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 18:19 by Craig69 »

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 18:24 »
It is as well to check about the "usual suspects" if you are worried.
Is she eating, drinking and Poohing OK?
Is she moving around freely with the other hens or is she huddled by herself, limping or behaving differently?
does she have a temperature?  You can check this by feeling under the wing of one of your other hens then under her wing to see if she feels hotter
When was she last wormed?
Have you checked for red mites and lice?

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 20:52 »
Is she broody?

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 22:11 »
It sounds very much like a moult. How old is she approximately? She should be just fine. Keep an eye on all of your hens just to make sure no one is doing sneaky feather pecking. Ensure she has a balanced diet. Hens often look just appalling when they moult. I can remember many years ago on my first late Summer when my hens began to moult I had been on holiday when they started. I came home to find feathers every where. The field looked like a explosion in a pillow factory! My poor Father in Law who had been looking after them for me. I gave him such a ticking off. Bless him he couldn't get a word in edge wise! I thought he had been cruel to the birds. I had to eat a great deal of humble pie once he told me what was going on, he had kept hens years ago.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 22:19 »
thanks orchard lady, I'm hoping thats all it is, will have a thorough check again tomorrow when I clean out the coop, had no nasties so far. They do all sleep on the floor of the coop though, will not perch despite me trying, consequently the floor of the coop is quite damp, the wood shavings do not seem to absorb any moisture. It is only her though, the others all seem fine.

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 22:42 »
You might consider changing your birds bedding. Aubiose or hempcore are excellent moisture absorbers. There are also a couple of 'heavy' disinfectant powders on the market (I use bio dry) they absorb lots of moisture and really help to keep the hen house dry. Just rub a small handful into any damp patches when you clean the birds out and sprinkle some more into their bedding. I should think that it's fairly unlikely there is a problem with creepy crawlies at this time of year especially in the cold weather we have been experiencing but always worth a good check.

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 22:59 »
I will visit the suppliers in the morning and see if I can get some of this dry disinfectant and an alternative bedding, might as well just spread the wood shavings in the run and start again from scratch! Do you think there is any benefit in giving poultry spice?

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 03:11 »
hi just a quick bit about poultry spice. My girl was moulting and seemed very down it was my first moult so I was worried sick it went on for a couple of weeks with her just being distant and off her food. I started giving them poultry spice one Monday and by Wednesday she was a different hen feathers were growing she had perked up and eating well. I realise this could be a coinsidence and she may well have perked up without it but. I'd say give the poultry spice a go. it smells amazing !!! Good luck   :)
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 09:12 »
I've started giving mine Poultry Spice about a 3 - 4 weeks ago & i think it has made a difference.
I mix it in their layers or porridge.

xx
moulting

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 09:05
by joyfull
xx
moulting

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 20:36
by daisy1990
xx
moulting again!

Started by hermon on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 06:16
by hermon
xx
Moulting?

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 10:15
by beth123

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.