Potato Blight

• 15 Replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
Potato Blight
« on: July 08, 2023, 16:23 »
I'm hoping this isn't blight on my King Edward main crop potatoes. What do you guys think?
FWDY9476.JPG
CRUV4520.JPG

Hampshire Hog

Re: Potato Blight
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 18:28 »
Looks rather suspicious I’m afraid.
Keep digging

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 18:37 »
cut the foilage back and save the totties, leave in the ground for 3/4 weeks before eating, I think the time scales are correct
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 08:37 »
I thought blight needed humid conditions but it's been really dry. I'll chop the foliage off then and hope for the best

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 13:00 »
I dug the plant up on the 2nd pic and got these spuds off it. I've asked 2 others on the allotment their opinion and 1 says blight, the other says natural die back. I'll monitor closely
TNVX3998.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 14:55 »
Late blight symptoms on leaves generally appear as irregular shaped dark spots which enlarge as the disease develops. On the upper surface a lighter green halo often surrounds the necrotic area and, on the lower surface, whitish spore–bearing mould develops around the lesions under moist conditions.
https://potatoes.ahdb.org.uk/knowledge-library/late-blight-disease-and-its-management-in-potatoes

It doesn't look like blight to me, but, if it is blight the plants will collapse with brown leaves and stems that are rotting, in a day or 2. It's been that dry in most places that blight is unlikely IMO. You'll know within the week, as collapse is usually that quick.
If they do collapse remove all the waste (don't compost it) and leave the potatoes below ground for a few weeks before you start to lift and use them.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 20:21 »
The yellowing of the leaves seems to be spreading, but again, I'll keep a close eye

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 07:19 »
I'm with Mum and Whaleroad on this, I don't think it is blight, although I'd be sparing with the lime, but there again, this late on in the season, it shouldn't make a lot of difference to the crop!

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 09:05 »
Look at the under sides of the leaves. If its blight the mildly/recently affected ones will have spots or circles of white mould either on their own or around dead patches.

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 09:25 »
I wouldn't have said it's blight either.  Yellowing of the leaves like that can be down to temperature fluctuations or early maturing of the plants. 
As others have said if it is blight you would definitely know by now.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 11:44 »
I've just been and had a look. Yellowing doesn't seem to have spread much this morning. Also took a pic of both sides of the leaves for you guys to check. Appreciate all the help so far
VTQP5053.JPG
NXAN4631.JPG
CDZD1362.JPG

Debz

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 13:08 »
Pretty sure I've got blight on mine.  It's been warm and wet so perfect conditions for it.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2023, 20:49 »
Looks more like a deficiency to me, your soil looks like it's lacking a bit of organic matter. Have you fed them properly? You either need quite a lot of compost or feed them, they are hungry crops. Although that first picture in your last post makes them look fine

Last year I had blight on my tomatoes by this time as it was such a bad summer. I was a bit worried that it would hit me again as the last few weeks have been so wet. But no signs so far, I'm also in glasgow
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 20:50 by Snow »

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 11:43 »
Looks more like a deficiency to me, your soil looks like it's lacking a bit of organic matter. Have you fed them properly? You either need quite a lot of compost or feed them, they are hungry crops. Although that first picture in your last post makes them look fine

Last year I had blight on my tomatoes by this time as it was such a bad summer. I was a bit worried that it would hit me again as the last few weeks have been so wet. But no signs so far, I'm also in glasgow

This is my first full year on the plot so I dont know if anything was there before but weeds. I only grew tatties there to try to clean the soil a bit. I dug some homemade compost/fresh grass clippings in the ground a few weeks before planting, and i lined the trenches will grass clippings. Hopefully you guys are right and it's just the soil needing a bit of a boost

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2023, 19:47 »
Had any weedkiller been applied to the lawn before mowing?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
potato blight

Started by ian000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 19:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potato Blight Q

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 22:51
by gobs
xx
Is this potato blight ?

Started by IvanAllotment on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 16:57
by DD.

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 45 queries.