What variety of garlic are you growing and what is ssoft neck etc

• 16 Replies

Beetroot Queen

As above really my garlic says soft neck, so do you get hard neck and what is the difference also what variety are people growing and why

Beetroot Queen

Ps i went for germidour, thermidrome and cristo. Why because that was the whole variety the gc had  :blush: i couldnt decide.  Never was great at decision making

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
This will be my first year growing garlic so I have gone for a Garlic lovers collection from Dobies of
Solent Wight
Arno
Sultop
Bella Italiano
and elephant garlic
will give them all a try and see what works

JayG

• Global Moderator
Hard necks almost always produce the garlic version of a flower head (the scape) which forms a stiff stem down the centre of the bulb and between the cloves, hence the name. If eaten when still young and tender, the scapes are a handy salad or stir fry ingredient before the bulbs are ready.

Soft necks usually don't produce scapes, although the odd one can do if stressed by adverse growing conditions.

It's said that hard necks don't store as well as soft, but I've only just finished eating my hard necks from last year (can't tell you the variety because they were originally from a s*p*r*a*k*t a few years ago, which is not a recommended practice!)   ::)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

Soft necked garlic tend to grow fewer but larger cloves and as those fiddly little beggers near the centre of a hard necked garlic head are a pain to peel, we go for the soft necks. :)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
This too is my first  year and I have gone for early purple wight and Provence Wight - no idea if they are hard or soft though! Have to say I will not be using Marshall's again though - my winter plug plants from there were almost dead on arrival (although I did get a partial refund by a credit voucher). One of the garlic they sent this week hadn't cloved at all so I got a whole bulb instead of individual cloves I can plant. I stuck the whole thing out, no idea if it will grow but it particularly impressed I have to say! I will be using my credit voucher and calling it quits

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
give them a ring - they'll send you some more garlic  ;)

I grow Early Purple White, cos it's out of the ground before the onion white rot takes hold  ;)

AnneB

I have tried a few varieties in the last 3 years.   Like Mum I have had success with Early Purple Wight.  I also liked Albigensian Wight and Provence Wight wasn't bad for me this year.

This year although better for every other crop was more disappointing for my garlic.   They seemed to go direct from not forming cloves to past their best and starting to rot in about 10 days!  I didn't do well with Lautrec Wight or Solent Wight.  Last year I was disappointed with Music.

This year I am trying Christo and Sultop that I got from Simpson's Seeds.  They did have an offer on with a £1 off if you ordered 2 packs, but this seems to have ended.  The bulbs look very good quality.  I am giving Music another go, but the bulbs Really Garlicky sent me are very small, although they sent 4 instead of the 2 I paid for.

I will see how these varieties do, then I think I will pick the best three to go with after that.  On the other hand I could be tempted ....

Beetroot Queen

Lovely thanks all, will keep you posted i actually need to get brave

Garlic is not scary........
Garlic is not scary........
I am such a baby when it comes to new things  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

I LOVE garlic and tend to get a bit carried away. I have a couple I grow most years (solent wight and Provençal) and then try a few new varieties. This year I am also growing Lautrec (hard neck and have grown well for me before), carcassonne and vallaledo. I have used far more than their allocated spot in the plot but do like my garlic a lot!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Sparkyrog

Re: What variety of garlic are you growing and what is ssoft neck etc
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 18:08 »
I have put my garlic in now and will be interested to see how it does ! always disappointed before this is my first attempt at overwintered  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 18:17 »
Sparky i am sure your growing one of the varieties i am, we can compare

Sparkyrog

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 19:28 »
I think your right BQ it will be interesting as mine have gone in an old chicken run  :)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 21:17 »
I think your right BQ it will be interesting as mine have gone in an old chicken run  :)

Mine aint hehe does that count as a head start for you  ::) i dont expect much from mine especially if badgers like them, they'll be gone by tomorrow, he better not or i'll send him the bill.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18 »
(although I did get a partial refund by a credit voucher)
Not sure about Marshalls, specifically, but I have come across those sorts of "customer service vouchers" from other companies which had quite a short "use by" date, which would catch a number of people out - so not really "customer service" after all ...

Might be something to check just-in-case

xx
Growing an processing Hard Neck Snake Garlic

Started by Durgan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 05:04
by Trillium
xx
Garlic - hard neck versus soft neck

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 09:04
by Snoop
xx
hard neck garlic help

Started by pvc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 21:04
by pvc
xx
bulblets on soft neck garlic

Started by Can you eat that? on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 14:22
by SG6

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 38 queries.