Tomato Seed Question

• 7 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tomato Seed Question
« on: August 02, 2007, 21:48 »
As some of you may have read, most of my tomato plants have a touch of blight.  I've been round all 80 taking off all the affected bits of leaves and fruit, and in 10 cases, where it looked like the stem was going, dug them up and destroyed them.

OH is telling me to chuck away all my leftover seeds and start fresh next year, but as money is tight, I know I won't be able to buy as many varieties as I'd like, and also, surely the seeds (many from packets bought only this year) won't carry blight spores will they?

I'd hate to chuck them all, as there are several that I won't be tasting if I have to throw away many more plants.

Advice please??????

muntjac

Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 22:02 »
bin the lot nanna save ya seeds ,,,,,,spray the house  with jyes  end the season so all them nasty spores is killed orf  start of next year with ya saved seed and i have loads if ya wants some more, dont compost any bligted stuff folks  : :)
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 22:02 »
Grannie when you say seeds do you mean saved seeds or bought seeds ? deffo no need to chuck bought seed they will be disease free and will store for years, I keep mine in an air tight tub in the fridge  :wink:

I'm not sure about saved seeds would hazard a guess that they might carry as it travels through the plant with the sap
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 22:08 »
I can't bin all my toms yet Munty.  that'd mean I'd have to keep buying supermarket dodo!  

Some of the seeds I have left are bought seed from this year Richy, so defo won't chuck them.  Others are saved from last year, but I definitely had no blight at all then, and some are what other people have exchanged with me.  But I won't be saving any seed from this year's crop, just in case.

Even my tumbling toms that you sent me have the blight a bit Munty.  Have you got any blight your way?

muntjac

Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 22:17 »
ok hon well  now im going backl on a naother topic ,,, stop em now if you have fruit on the vines leave it ,remove all the leaves ,or cut the fruit vine at the stem and hang em up to ripen , you can cut the leaves back by 50 % to help control the blight leave the doors open all the time now to allow max air movement and reduce the moisture in the house to watering the plants only  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 22:24 »
Yeah, I've done that Munty.  Stopped all the plants where they are now, and taken off most of the flowering trusses that haven't set any fruit, apart from a few plants that haven't got any fruit on yet.  Doors and windows are open all the time, to keep humidity down as much as possible, and only watering the ground, not the leaves or fruit.

Hopefully I can get at least some fruit off the new varieties that I haven't tried yet, got quite a few fruit on my tumbling toms, and looking forward to the Black Prince, Garden Pearl, Muchamiel, which are some of the ones I've not tried yet, but already dug up most of my Rio Grande and Inca, so they'll have to wait until next year.

Once I've dug them all up, I'll Jeyes my tunnel and greenhouses, but is there anything I can spray on the ground where my potoates were to help cleanse the soil?  Although I won't be planting pots or toms there next year!!

muntjac

Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 22:33 »
lime it plant cabbages etc and for now dig it over is all ,, leave the winter to do the rest

GrannieAnnie

Tomato Seed Question
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 22:36 »
Okay Munty, will do, thanks for your advice.  Much appreciated

xx
a frosty question and a tomato question

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 18:29
by JayG
xx
Tomato question

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 22:12
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Tomato question

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 21:10
by Elaine G
xx
tomato question?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 01:27
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.