Old Raspberry Canes?

• 2 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
Old Raspberry Canes?
« on: December 24, 2008, 14:59 »
I've just got onto my first allotment, lots to do!!!

But there are some old raspberry canes, which I know gave raspberries during 2008, because the next-door plot holder told me he had been enjoying them.

Question, do I cut them back to 6" or so and hope for the best? Clearly I don't know what type they are (guess they're summer fruiting) or how old they are...

Thanks for some suggestions/knowledge, others here I got with the secateurs anyway... :)  :)

Happy Christmas!!

Phill

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Old Raspberry Canes?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 15:10 »
If you're certain they are summer fruiting do NOT cut them all back. or you'll have no fruit next year.

There should be some that look dead, maybe with a old shrivelled raspberry or two. Cut them out, but leave the new growth, as that's what you'll get next year's raspberries on.

Autumn fruiting ones can be cut down to a couple of inches. Some do it February, I do it when I've got the chance, so they are already done.

If you're uncertain, leave them alone & see when they fruit.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

woodburner

Old Raspberry Canes?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 15:27 »
I've heard (well either seen on telly or read actually ;) ) that it's not the end of the world if you do cut summer fruiting canes down, you will still get some fruit but it will be late. It was said or suggested that you could cut some of your summer fruiting plants right down to extend the season rather than getting autumn fruiting canes.
I've ordered Parkers 3x6 types of rasps so I doubt that I'll actually be trying it myself. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Raspberry canes

Started by Sean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2006, 12:54
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 14:28
by gobs
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 18:33
by GardenShed
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 08:44
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 35 queries.