onion stems

• 36 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
onion stems
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 21:54 »
Yeah, don't waste them Dadbear, you never know they may be okay.  At the moment, they look like spring onions!!! lol

DadBear

• Experienced Member
onion stems
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2007, 20:04 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Yeah, don't waste them Dadbear, you never know they may be okay.  At the moment, they look like spring onions!!! lol

Cheers Gran, i think they will be ok... but no cloche next year though! I hope this long thread has been of interest to other folk, its a strange thing !!
trying to be organic....

Dan

• Experienced Member
onion stems
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2007, 21:11 »
Loads of my onions are falling over like that? i didnt realise it was a problem...im Peed off now...they were sets and planted straight outside, no cloches etc.

what do i do now?

WG.

onion stems
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2007, 21:21 »
Quote from: "Dan"
Loads of my onions are falling over like that? i didnt realise it was a problem...im Peed off now...they were sets and planted straight outside, no cloches etc.

You haven't had any earthquakes recently have you?   [bad joke, runs for cover]

Probably the unusually warm and dry April ... my theory would be that the tops have put on weight too quickly - more than the roots can provide water for.   Can you water / have you watered?

DadBear

• Experienced Member
onion stems
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2007, 22:44 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Dan"

You haven't had any earthquakes recently have you?   [bad joke, runs for cover]

Probably the unusually warm and dry April ... my theory would be that the tops have put on weight too quickly - more than the roots can provide water for.   Can you water / have you watered?

Thats interesting Wg, its been especially dry here in Worcestershire this april. I didn't think you should water onions though? i have watered mine but perhaps not enough...hmm :D

WG.

onion stems
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2007, 23:00 »
I'd certainly never normally recommend watering onions since they are shallow enough rooted as it is - theory is that the roots will go deeper looking for water.

Key word is normally - this spring has been anything but normal.  Same thing might apply to your own onions DadBear but the cloche would have made things worse.

Dan

• Experienced Member
onion stems
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2007, 11:01 »
Yes i have watered but not as often as everything else...ill make sure they get some more.

Dan

xx
Tomato stems

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 10:38
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Potato stems

Started by Imogen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 21:34
by Imogen
xx
Stems going thin.

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 18:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potato stems

Started by ricky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 23, 2019, 10:36
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 33 queries.