Growing BNS in large tub?

• 13 Replies

Kirpi

Growing BNS in large tub?
« on: June 23, 2013, 01:04 »
The way this year's weather is going I have decided to try a little experiment and grow a butternut squash (Hawk) in a large planter.

My question is, how large a tub should I be considering? The tub I have is about 1.5 feet across at the top and about the same deep.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing BNS in large tub?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 09:41 »
You may get away with that, but make sure you feed and water it really well.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 09:45 »
We have done them in rubber trugs before. We planted it on pure horse poop but i must say it struggled once it got to fruit stage seemed to just run out of steam.

I seriously need to find some ground as i still have 8 or 9 squash in pots at home  :wacko:

Yana

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24 »
Has anyone experience of growing squash on top of a compost heap?   ::)
I've filled a compost bin and topped it off with old manure and sure I read somewhere that if I put a layer of soil over the manure I can plant the squash there?? 
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

maxibo

• Experienced Member
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 13:34 »
I've filled a compost bin and topped it off with old manure and sure I read somewhere that if I put a layer of soil over the manure I can plant the squash there?? 
Have a read of this thread.  It may give you a bit of info http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=105634.0  ;)

Yana

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 21:26 »
Have a read of this thread.  It may give you a bit of info http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=105634.0  ;)
Thanks. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.  :D

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 13:21 »
I grew a cushaw in a  plastic dustbin filled with muck and soil. You need soil in the bottom to keep it weighed down.  You could top the bin with soil too and then plant into that as it's a bit firmer than muck or compost. You don't want your plant to be pulled out of the top of the bin as it grows and falls over the side of the container. It needs a good anchor  :)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 13:37 »
I seriously need to find some ground as i still have 8 or 9 squash in pots at home  :wacko:

I've got 15 and a dozen or so cucumbers. I keep hunting for gaps :D

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 13:43 »
The way this year's weather is going I have decided to try a little experiment and grow a butternut squash (Hawk) in a large planter.

My question is, how large a tub should I be considering? The tub I have is about 1.5 feet across at the top and about the same deep.

I grow Butternut Hunter in pots this size & get a couple off each plant.  They do need daily watering & weekly feeding, but otherwise are fine.  I also grow my cucumbers this way (which crop even better) as I found neither crop well in the ground here, though courgettes are ok.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Yana

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 14:19 »
I've got cukes growing in an earth filled old metal dip tank at the lottie. They can then trail down the sides. I've put debris netting around them to afford some wind protection.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 14:49 »
We have done them in rubber trugs before. We planted it on pure horse poop but i must say it struggled once it got to fruit stage seemed to just run out of steam.

I've got a chicken run doing nothing at the moment BQ!!!   :lol: :lol:

Godhelm

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 16:12 »
There is a variety called 'Butterbush' which is sold for growing in tubs. Before I got my allotment I sowed some which I have now planted in the ground at my allotment. They are still fairly small there and as I didn't put any in pots I cannot really compare or make a strong recommendation. Perhaps others will have grown them previously.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 19:24 »

I've got a chicken run doing nothing at the moment BQ!!!   :lol: :lol:

On way with my basket of plants  :lol:

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 21:37 »
There is a variety called 'Butterbush' which is sold for growing in tubs. Before I got my allotment I sowed some which I have now planted in the ground at my allotment. They are still fairly small there and as I didn't put any in pots I cannot really compare or make a strong recommendation. Perhaps others will have grown them previously.

Ooh I intend to grow these next year please let us know how you get on with it

xx
Growing carrots in large barrels

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 11:07
by SkipRat
xx
tips for growing large(r) garlic

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 19, 2014, 21:42
by JohnB47
xx
There is a large box ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 14:54
by purplebat
xx
Large Butternuts

Started by Marston on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 17:46
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 36 queries.