Bamboo.....

• 9 Replies

mobilekat

Bamboo.....
« on: April 13, 2014, 16:47 »
We moved house last November and I am now trying to work on improving the garden.
Sadly the previous owners were not gardeners, so after getting a few beds put in, with anti-weed membrane and a few shrubs and bamboo they kind of left the garden to it...
This was something we were aware of, and in someways the 'fairly blank canvas' was one good point of the house.
But I have now realised I have the joy of rampant bamboo, which has grown through the 'anti-weed membrane' and gone mental

My plan has been to cut the bamboo back to the ground, try to get the membrane up, and then dig out the runners and roots from under it. I don't really want to have to reach for the chemicals, but I think I may need to else I may still be trying to shift the stuff when we move out!

Any other suggestions (other than a flame thrower!), and anyone got experience as to which weed killers are best fir bamboo?

Thanks
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Bamboo.....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 17:56 »
Manual removal is the best approach imho, and then burn the haulms completely.

A very satisfying bonfire it will be, too  :D

Sorry, forgot to answer your question -- glyphosate will do the job, and may need a second application: Doff Super-strength Weedkiller is as good as any
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 18:00 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28 »
I recently removed about a 4ft square of bamboo in the backyard that the previous owner had thoughtfully put in. It took me about 3 weekends and a crowbar, sledgehammer and axe are absolutely essential! It isn't too bad when you start - and the cracking of roots when the crowbar is in is strangely satisfying. (I used no chemicals)

-- And cut your shoots down in small sections to fit them into the bin better!

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 00:31 »
I've just used an angle grinder on my garden bamboo roots  :)
Once the last couple of years spreading roots have been separated from the initial plant, it is far easier to uproot the new bamboos.
I have also used a sharp hand saw in the past to cut down through the roots, followed by a pick axe. Wonderful tool. :D

grinling

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 21:57 »
mine was easy and been relocated...

if in front garden, you could advertise it in freecycle, dig up yourself option.

if not wanting at all, cut to about 6 inches, dig around the plant with a spade shovelling away, forming a trench around, cut black matting first. Try to go a spade deep, 2 spades out, then cut roots whilst clearing soil underneath. Stick on Freecycle when out and leave out front for easy removal...if no joy root ball normally goes to recycling centre rather than bin.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:10 »
There are many varieties of bamboo, some of which aren't invasive, so grinling's might have been one of these?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Asherweef

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 14:01 »
I suspect so... Mine was a nightmare!

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 17:23 »
That's the problem with non-gardeners choosing plants - they tend to choose the rampant ones like non-clumping bamboo. When they discover their colossal mistake, they move and leave the problem to the next owner.  Best of luck to the new bamboo owners.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 14:06 »
Not sure if the invasive bamboos have hollow stems or a softish content, but you could always dribble some glyphosate-based weedkiller down the cut-off stems.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 17:22 »
My sister has inherited some bamboo so will let her know the suggestions.  We had a similar issue with a Pampas Grass.  It refused to die but we got there in the end.  My Sister has also inherited rampant grape vines - they easy to manage though.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

xx
Bamboo

Started by corndolly on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 09:47
by The Thin Blue Line
xx
How to get rid of Bamboo

Started by supagranz on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 22:42
by Broadhaven
xx
Bamboo

Started by JohnB on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 13:32
by mrs bouquet
xx
Bamboo's

Started by lincspoacher on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 13:51
by Trillium

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 38 queries.