Fun

• 3 Replies

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
Fun
« on: November 01, 2010, 15:51 »
How do I go about my chickens getting bored.I have had a little bit of advice and hung apple from the roof of the run but this will not last for long.Loads of advice welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CALLUM LAWTON :)

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: Fun
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 17:37 »
Hi CL - I knitted ( ???) a string bag up from cotton twine which is suspended from a branch of a tree overhanging the run. The pattern was on the internet.
In that I put any greens going - cabbage, broccoli, spinach etc. It's just high enough that they have to stretch to peck at it. This keeps my 4 hens busy for the best part of a day normally. I've also got some branches and logs on the floor of the run and my son sawed notches into one so that they can walk up it (it's leaning at an angle against another) and sometimes puts a handful of corn for the chx to 'find' at the top. It's amazing how often they'll go and have a look to see if there is any, even though he's only put some corn there a few times. ::)

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 17:42 »
Thanks I think I will do that tommorow thank you for the ideas!!!!!

orchardlady

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 21:40 »
I have a bird feeder, looks like a double topped shepherds hook with two pieces of chain with a shank hook at the ends. I put cabbage and cauliflower leaves onto a piece of galvanised wire so it looks like a cabbagy Christmas wreath and hang this from the ends of the chain. It swings and twirls and keeps the hens amused for hours.

Also there is a product called Peck a Block. It's solid seeds in a block and it takes them ages to demolish. I personally don't use them as they are too expensive for 40 odd hens but make my own.

Give them lots of greens and even your pumpkin from Halloween to peck at, they love the flesh, seeds, in fact all of it apart from the skin.

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 32 queries.