New to Gardening

• 4 Replies

greenockian

New to Gardening
« on: March 20, 2010, 21:18 »
Last summer I persuaded the farmer who owns the ground behind my small gerden to let me cultivate a vegetable plot since the ground had not been used in the 30 years I have been in the house. He let me have a small plot about 10 x 6 metres.

I spent last summer digging out brambles, whin bushes etc and loads of couch grass. I have creates several beds 1metre x 4 metres and have managed to get them to a fine tilth. I know that these narrow beds are to prevent you standing on the ground and that is fine by me. However, going back to my teenage years when I used to help in my mothers garden she insisted that the brassica bed was firmly trod on so that the cabbages and sprouts would form a good heart.

Does this still hold true. Should this bed be firmed with my feet or do I not stand on the ground.
You will never find time for anything. If you want time you must make it.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: New to Gardening
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 21:22 »
Welcome to the forums greenockian

It needs to be firm, and if the only way to do this is by your feet then yes, you need to stand on the ground  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:51 »
What is your soil like?  Sandy or clay?  If sandy, then firming the soil in the entire bed with your feet is probably a good idea.  As for clay soil, I've had good results just firming the soil round the base of the plant when planting out (using my boot heel or even hands)  :)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:29 »
What is your soil like?  Sandy or clay?  If sandy, then firming the soil in the entire bed with your feet is probably a good idea.  As for clay soil, I've had good results just firming the soil round the base of the plant when planting out (using my boot heel or even hands)  :)

Ive got clay soil too paintedlady. Hand firming didnt work for me  - perhaps Im a weakling  ??? :D

greenockian

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 16:34 »
What is your soil like?  Sandy or clay?

I am lucky, the soil is good loam.

xx
gardening

Started by ditchdigger on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 10:44
by gobs
xx
My First Day Of Gardening

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 19:56
by Tykelad
xx
No dig gardening

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 22, 2018, 09:59
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Box gardening

Started by Alec_Macpherson on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 10:57
by Epona_4

Page created in 0.515 seconds with 32 queries.