bumper crop!!!

• 3 Replies

psipower

bumper crop!!!
« on: March 26, 2007, 13:12 »
Well, after disappearing for about 5 days, we eventually managed to track down our Wyandotte - as expected sitting on some eggs - in a very well disguised spot.

Something just spooked her, and revelaed that my feel-under-her estimate of 5 eggs was a little short of the mark, and in fact there were 16 (sixteen) eggs.

So I think we'll call that a 'good' day :)

muntjac

bumper crop!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 14:52 »
did you put a pen over her this wil stop her getting attacked  or anything untoward .i often find pheasants sitting ouin the hedge rows and i  put a large cage over them this protects them and the chicks and hen  :wink: can be fed and watered
still alive /............

psipower

bumper crop!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 20:14 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
did you put a pen over her this wil stop her getting attacked  or anything untoward .i often find pheasants sitting ouin the hedge rows and i  put a large cage over them this protects them and the chicks and hen  :wink: can be fed and watered

When she was off I did a quick candle of them - don't think we'll be having any chicks, just a big omlette. However, the pen idea is good for the future, and fortunately I have lots of rabbit wire and posts lying around....

Mr Fox only seems to go next door, so far. We do have Mr Buzzard and Mr Sparrowhawk to contend with, however, although they tend to look over the vegetable plot rather than the rampant wilderness (garden) that the chickens mainly peruse. Bit difficult to dive through the beech/pine/ash/laurel...  - and if we can't find our chickens when we are standing next to them, doubt they can ! But any future chicks will be assigned to the Persian proverb 'Don't count your chickens until they are 6 months old' :).

muntjac

bumper crop!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 20:17 »
not an ommelte id share  :shock: .have sparrow hawks and honey buzzards  commons and hen harriers here never lost a chuck to them so fear not about urs id say .. oh and if a sparrow hawk wnated ya chiks .the trees bushes wouldnt stop it lolo

xx
Bumper crop

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 21:52
by too many girls
xx
Pecking even with bumper bit on!

Started by MrsTruper on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 14:14
by MrsTruper
xx
Feather Pecking - Bit or Bumper

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 19:53
by OpiumEater
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 34 queries.