Chickens not laying

• 3 Replies

john p

Chickens not laying
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:47 »
I have 2 RRI's and a Light Sussex. They are in  their second year of laying. This time last year they were pretty much producing an egg each a day. This year they are only managing 1 egg a day between them. They are living in the same place and have always had plenty of space. Everything else about them is fine. Any ideas??

muntjac

Chickens not laying
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 12:42 »
if they have everything going as last year ,food , and complete acess to copius amounts of water and greens . oestra for making egg shell , grit for grinding the food etc then they should come back into lay soon  .when did they start laying last year and when did they stop .  chickens do not lay an egg every day ,they will stop and start at will ,  it takes 36 hours for an egg to form completly from  leaving the ovary to the straw .you probably have only the 2 rrs laying .dont worry just check all the things they need and i reckon ur back to having ur eggs back to normal numbers soon i have 180 birds and am only getting 120 eggs a day at the minute and im not worrying ,,, yet  :wink:
still alive /............

john p

Chickens not laying
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 14:21 »
Last year the Sussex started laying 31st Dec, this year 10 Jan. She stopped laying end Oct when she moulted. RRI's about a month later all round. What greens do you have to give them this time of year??

muntjac

Chickens not laying
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 14:30 »
any thing you can get hold of ..........cabbage lettuce / those cheap reduced for quick sale stuff in supermarkets .i sow a long bed of perpetual spinach as well to cover my  my birds go to the greengrocers or town market stalls and ask for cabbage and green rubbish this is more than adequate they must have acces to greens all year round if your gonna keep em healthy

xx
why are my chickens not laying

Started by Rosie the clown on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 08:40
by ehs284
xx
No chickens Laying

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 15:07
by Roughlee Handled
xx
best chickens for laying

Started by paul veg on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 15:58
by SurreyLass
xx
Why are my chickens not laying

Started by bee on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 18:58
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 34 queries.