FEEDING MY CHOOKS

• 17 Replies

rgp5454

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:59 »
I have recently listed the problem with my chooks leg/wing etc, thanks for the advice.
It has got me to thinking about the way that I feed them. I currently feed them on layer pellets and any greens there is available from my allotments and the odd piece of friut and occasionally leftover bread. I pruchased my birds from a local battery farm when they were pol, they have been free range for approx a year on a large patch of ground, the farm told me to feed them only layer pellets as the main feed.
Do I need to feed them on any grain etc, and also do they need any additional grit to help them with the egg process?
Is there a need to give multi vitamins, if so what type, what dose and where do I get them.
I also need advice on worming the chooks, I have had them for a year now but had no idea that they had to be wormed. Again what do I give them, how much and where from?
*Any person offended by the content of the above post can be assured it was 100% intentional.
Stop being oversensitive and taking an internet forum too seriously!*

muntjac

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:10 »
hiya rg looks like the battery farm took your cash n pulled your pecker ,, can i suggest you go to my posts on chicken feeding etc here

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=1688
it has all the details you need for caring for your birds  , worming is different and you need to purchase the flubenvet wormer from your feed stockist or ........vet
( expensive).

i get mine here you can buy the gamekeeper pack if you register as a poultry keeper ( subject to conditions ?)
 www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk
still alive /............

purplebat

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 22:19 »
I'm sure I've seen a thread on here somewhere that suggested planting a patch of something just for the chickens but I can't find it again, can anybody give me an idea of what it was? I think it was mentioned at the same time as chickweed.
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

muntjac

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 22:22 »
its perpetual spinach as i grow it ,sow a decent bed of it and you can cut and come agin for your birds and urselves .... :wink:

purplebat

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 22:24 »
thanks muntjac, it's been bugging the hell out of me :lol:

muntjac

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 22:56 »
I've got my spinach beet seed.  Just waiting for sowing time. My chooks love spinach.  But not too much at a time as it can give them the squits.  It's got oxalic acid in the same as rhubarb   :D

muntjac

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 23:01 »
i let mine have as much a they want i guess they get accustomed to it , i also feed cabbage n parsnip tops as well as stubble trunips etc .anything i eat veggie wise i feed em m also ask grocers for cabbage leaves n such if ya have local shop

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 23:05 »
My Gerty has a delicate tummy (very polite way of saying she's always go the s***s) So as Muntjac says feed a wide variety of veg.  Just like for humans really ( I couldn't eat sprouts every day )  :lol:

WG.

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 23:05 »
My neighbour is always dead chuffed when I give him some curly kale for his chooks.  Good deal for the eggs I get back in return.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 23:06 »
Yes, my girls will kill large dogs to get at some curley kale  :!:

muntjac

FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 23:09 »
if you watch chucks when they free range they dont eat a whole plant out of existance thye pick and choose something like we do at the salad counter .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 23:14 »
That's right they never stand still.  Always on the move.

Kerry

• Experienced Member
FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:41 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
My Gerty has a delicate tummy (very polite way of saying she's always go the s***s) So as Muntjac says feed a wide variety of veg.  Just like for humans really ( I couldn't eat sprouts every day )  :lol:

Hi Aunt Sally, just reading old postings. Actually trying to find out about wing clipping as I haven't let Thelma and Louise have full run of the garden yet (a bit nervous that they might get further than I want them to). Anyway, your posting caught my eye, coz Thelma's had the s***s for a few days too, but only in the day. There's never any in the coop from the night.
She's been on brussels for a treat recently, so have stopped giving them to them now, but mainly coz they like to fly and sit on my shoulder and I don't want to get covered in it !!!

Back to wing clipping. I keep picking the ladies up and trying to pull their wings out to get them used to it, but they're still a bit jumpy. Any tips ?

Cheers,  

Kerry.
Mondays are just weeds in the lawn of life !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
FEEDING MY CHOOKS
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 10:12 »
If you've not done it befor it's a good idea to get someone to help you.

Pick chook up very gently and hold her comfortably under your arm against your body so that she can't flap.  Make sure her legs can't scratch about and cause trouble too.  When she is calm  gently but firmly open the wing which is away from your body and hold it by the elbow (it's probably the wrist really) while your helper cuts the primary flight feathers.  Do not cut into the part of the feather where the blood supply runs, cut about an inch down from the other feathers.

Hope that helps  :D

xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
different way of feeding?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 09:56
by bubs
xx
Feeding

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2007, 15:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Hen feeding

Started by babradburn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 17:59
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.