Bonfire Ash

• 8 Replies

Novice

• Experienced Member
Bonfire Ash
« on: March 27, 2006, 13:11 »
Here's a Q for you folks....
Last weekend, I burnt my HUGE pile of nettle roots and various other weeds, roots ( and some wood too )...and although it didn't all burn away ( I intend to compost the left overs ) what do I do with the big pile of ash which is left ? Can I dig it straight in, or does it also go in the compost bins.
Good news...got my onions in on Friday, it's starting to look like a proper allotment now, and my Father in Law gave me his "zip-up plastic greenhouse" so that will come in handy.
Picked up my chitted potatoes from Father-in-Law too - I'd forgtotten quite how many I'd got !! So they'll go in this Friday hopefully.
Altogether quite exciting, would anyone be interested in seeing pics of how the plot is developing ?

Jake

• Rockers
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 14:17 »
I would like to see some pics of your plot. The pics are my favourite part of this site. Must be my short attention span.

My wife works in environmental health and she says that ash leads to a build up of hydrocarbons in the soil which are bad for you. Can anyone else comment?

I've got 3 days off this week to do the allotment. I really can't concentrate at work, I want to be out there.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 20:12 »
I would have thought you'd have to be burning coal to get hydrocarbons ... I don't think it'd be any problem as long as you're not pouring accelerant on your bonfire to get it going - it should go up easily with just a bit of old newspaper stuffed in any spaces.
Gardening and Bonfire Night "Fresh bonfire ashes contain useful nutrients. Principally this is potassium (potash) and lime, which encourage flowers and fruit, and can make the soil more alkaline. However, they are very soluble in water and easily lost, especially if the ashes are left in the rain. Always store cooled ash in a dry place until needed. "
So it's probably all washed away (oops).
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 23:44 »
ashes = potash great for tomatoes, potatoes and fruit bushes.

Burning unpainted, untreated wood is fine. Perhaps concern about hydrocarbons justified if a bonfire of old creosoted fence panels etc.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Novice

• Experienced Member
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 07:29 »
Thanks for the advice folks.
Now all I need is a few pointers how to get my pics onto the website......

Jake

• Rockers
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41 »
A lot of the older guys around Bedfordshire compost soot from their and other peoples chimneys and dig this in to the ground.

After discussing with the OH it seems the pollution is caused by this as coal was likely burned in producing the soot.

Hope I didn't sound alarmist, good to have it cleared up :)

Pumpkins absorb this type of pollution apparently, just in case you'd like to know. Don't eat them though.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:56 »
Well that drops the ball into my court! (Photos on the website) I've been playing about with enabling a photo gallery / diary system for users on this site but  it's a bit more complex than I first thought.

Mainly it's security issues - but one day, when I have time LOL

If you have your photographs hosted on the web, you can link to them through the forum as Twysted does.

You need to join something like  PHOTOBUCKET and then you post a link to your photographs page between IMG tags

I will get a better system together one day soonish, honest :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 10:03 »
Quote from: "Jake"
A lot of the older guys around Bedfordshire compost soot from their and other peoples chimneys and dig this in to the ground.

After discussing with the OH it seems the pollution is caused by this as coal was likely burned in producing the soot.

Hope I didn't sound alarmist, good to have it cleared up :)

Pumpkins absorb this type of pollution apparently, just in case you'd like to know. Don't eat them though.

Soot from coal chimneys has been commonly used for many years - Victorian times - so I'm a bit surprised but thinking about it, arsenic (or strychnine?)  was commonly used as a pesticide.  And doctors used to prescribe 5 woodbines a day as a cure for asthma!

Live and learn.

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Bonfire Ash
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 22:14 »
You can see photos of my plot on my www link below - take a look you might like it!

Would love to see more photos too.

I use photo bucket on other forums and it is easy.
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

xx
bonfire

Started by deb1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 09:49
by stompy
question
Using the ash from a bonfire

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 15:37
by cAnAry53
xx
bonfire ash

Started by gurtie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 13:10
by gurtie
xx
BONFIRE

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 00:07
by oldbean

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 34 queries.