Crimson crush

• 26 Replies

Lardman

Re: Crimson crush
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 20:51 »
Mine were from suttons and grafted.

Plant #1. Greenhouse, 4' - 4 trusses with the first tomato colouring up. Short trusses 3-4 tomatoes at best but good sized fruit.
Plant #2. Outside 2' 2 trusses 1 good sized fruit the rest are sungold size.
Plant #3. Outside 3' 2 trusses small fruit per truss. Same short trusses on the outside plants 3-4 fruit at most.

Outdoor plants have spent ages growing sideshoots  :mad: so I've been forced to pot them up  ::) the larger are now in the garlic bed and just forming their first truss. I still have a 12 cell tray of them to go out.

No sign of any problems with the outdoor plants yet.

Crimson Crush has been bred to be blightfree,  it's new this year.

And lots of us are REALLY sceptical about the claims made by the retailler  :nowink: including it would seem the breeder http://www.hortweek.com/suttons-defends-claims-blight-resistant-tomato/retail/article/1336697

jambop

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 20:54 »
Blight resistant... right that will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard then. Had it been GM it would have been more than just resistant it would have been blight free :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 20:57 by jambop »

Steveharford

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 21:20 »
Mine are also on the short side. 2 trusses of decent sized fruit so far. But the bu**ers dont seem to want to grow vertically. The main stem is really sturdy but insists on pointing sideways instead of up !  I'm trying to pull it into the stake with string but its very persistent. Strange !

Headgardener22

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 21:37 »
I've got five plants, all outside. The ones in pots at home are about 3ft high with 3 trusses on each. The two at the allotment have really suffered with the cold when I first planted them and have no fruit and have barely grown.

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31 »
I got two in the free offer from Dobies.   I think they were cuttings.

I have planted 1 in a pot in the back garden.  This doesn't seem to have developed a growing point and is barely bigger than when I planted it.

The second one is in the soil in an open position in a raised bed on the allotment.   This has a funny growth habit, it seems very bushy, despite me treating it as a cordon, but not very tall (around 18" high).  It looks healthy enough and has one truss of flowers on it so far.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 20:47 by AnneB »

Lardman

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47 »
Having said 3-4 fruit I've just been up and checked and it's actually 5  ::)

Couple of days and I should be able to pick this ...
tom_bgh_crimson_crush.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 14:41 »
We have two outside, each tied up to a cane. They were the free cuttings from Dobies, and one has achieved two trusses, the first one has about three decent toms, while the other is a bit feeble with just a few flowers on two small trusses of about three toms, but they were all planted after their neighbours, which are Gardener's Delight and Sungold, so they're being watched very closely.

I will need to consider spraying the others soon, as we have a Smith Period round here, but I will leave out these two chaps and see what happens if the dreaded blight ever comes around!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 14:41 by Growster... »

Lardman

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 16:04 »
Harvest the first of these.

It's from the plant in the greenhouse and had already set when the plant was delivered.

Good size / hard but thin skin / very few seeds / fleshy.

Taste was a bit of a let down  :( The flesh was bland and although some sweetness it lacked acidic punch. It reminded me very much of a commercial tomato with just a hint of real tomato.

It might just be the age of the fruit or the growing conditions ... There are more turning orange on the outside plants, but I give it 6/10 so far.
crimson_crush_fruit_a.jpg
crimson_crush_fruit_b.jpg
crimson_crush_fruit_c.jpg

chillimummy

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 19:48 »
Mine have the biggest tomatoes from my other plants but still green.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

LotuSeed

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 20:22 »
Lardman why not try picking one before it's fully red. You might find the taste a little more acidic then.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2015, 20:30 »

Got two plants "free" from Dobies just pay the postage they say, they are in the greenhouse, very weak growth, a few flowers, so far totally useless and a waste of postage costs!

These things need to be sent out earlier in the growing season to have any chance of success!

Ps the rest of the tomato plants are growing and fruiting as normal!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2015, 22:04 »
Mine are pretty big now 4ft perhaps, two outside in the garden and one down the allotment.  All have two sets of fruit set of good size... the one down the allotment is starting to go red.  The plants are very sturdy although I haven't done a particularly good job of staking them so they have grown with hunch backs! I am pleased so far... but the proof will be in the eating and blight resistance!

xx
Crimson Crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 23, 2023, 18:04
by Anton
xx
crimson crush

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 25, 2021, 10:06
by rowlandwells
clip
Crimson Crush

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 08, 2023, 14:41
by Anton
xx
'Crimson Crush' - yet again...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 02, 2015, 10:29
by Growster...

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 35 queries.