Lemon curd

• 43 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Lemon curd
« on: March 01, 2015, 19:02 »
Don't know why but I have never made my own lemon curd before today. Odd as I love it and we are already up to 6 eggs a day so getting overrun pretty quickly.

It has turned out brilliantly if I say so myself and so easy. Think I have definitely found the solution to the egg mountain. Just need some suggestions for the lemon curd lake now. :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Lemon curd
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:56 »
So how do you make lemon curd then Kate?? :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 05:30 »
I started making it last year with the spring glut too Kate, I'm sure it was more difficult when I made it with my mum years ago. It takes little time and my friends are happy to pay a premium for it. Pays towards feed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 10:39 »
You can also make other flavours with your egg glut Kate-- I have done Blackberry & Apple, Raspberry and Lime before and they were all luscious  :D

Just takes a bit of time with the stirring  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 10:44 »
Apricot is a favourite here as most gardens have a tree. Orange is good too.... better get some butter in :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 18:24 »
I found so many different recipes with differing levels of complexity I decided to go for a pretty simple one. Just the beaten eggs, butter sugar and lemon juice and zest in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until thickened. No lumps or curdling and the taste is divine.  :tongue2:

Been looking at other flavours. Rhubarb seemed good especially as ours is just coming up and will coincide with the worst of the glut. The other one that seemed interesting was raspberry as I love them although as mine are autumn cropping the girls will have slowed down a lot by then. Might have to trial with the left over frozen ones ;)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 18:31 »
Does it keep well?

I'm always a bit cautious using eggs, but Ben likes lemon curd and I always accumulate quite a few eggs at any one time. :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 19:09 »
Rhubarb curd?!  :ohmy:

I'd never have thought of that - let us know how it goes
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 19:12 »
yeah it's nice and easy to make in small amounts so I don't worry about keeping it.

I had a lush lemon meringue pie cake made for me by the youngest for my birthday- Nigella.  You do a light sponge mix, add raw meringue to the tins, cook, sandwich together with lemon curd.  It went in a flash on boxing day when we were all full already  :D

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 19:48 »
Rhubarb curd?!  :ohmy:

I'd never have thought of that - let us know how it goes

And if you add some vanilla extract you get rhubarb and custard curd. ;)

DBG it will keep up to 4 weeks in the fridge but if you are concerned you can freeze it.
Gooseberry and elderflower curd is good or lime and passion fruit.

Loads of things to do with it. Use it to ripple through Lemon or vanilla ice-cream, mix a couple of tablespoons with some mascarpone cheese and use to fill cakes, or scones or shortbread tarts and top with strawberries.
Mix in with a cheesecake mix or pipe over a lemon cheesecake.

I make mine in a microwave, take about 8 minutes for a large bowlful.

tosca100

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22 »
I was wondering what to do with the frozen rhubarb. Thanks for the idea Mrs Bee :D

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 18:38 »
I did gooseberry but it wasent sharp enough, luckily only have 3 jars i might chuck it in a pan and add some lemon or lime .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 22:35 »
Homemade lemon curd is wonderful Emma.  If you taste it, you will NEVER buy from a supermarket again!

Keeping it in the fridge it is supposed to be eaten within a month, but when I made quite a lot, one jar did last a couple of weeks longer than that, but our friends in the village love it, so I gave them a couple of jars!

My friend Jacqui makes orange curd, but I haven't tasted any of the other flavours!

Sorry Mrs Bee, just noticed you already said about the 4 weeks. 

Didn't know you can freeze it though, doesn't it separate?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 22:36 by GrannieAnnie »

Mrs Bee

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 22:52 »

No worries Grannie, it doesn't worry me. :lol: :lol:

I only discovered you could freeze it very recently. I had a glut of eggs and fancied making curd but didn't want to eat lots of it straightaway. It just came into my head that I could freeze it so I gurgled it and you can.

So I did. And it works fine. That way I can freeze it in small pots and take out what ever we need. I have several cake recipes that need lemon curd and having it ready in the freezer makes it more likely that I will do the cakes. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55 »

No worries Grannie, it doesn't worry me. :lol: :lol:

I only discovered you could freeze it very recently. I had a glut of eggs and fancied making curd but didn't want to eat lots of it straightaway. It just came into my head that I could freeze it so I gurgled it and you can.

So I did. And it works fine. That way I can freeze it in small pots and take out what ever we need. I have several cake recipes that need lemon curd and having it ready in the freezer makes it more likely that I will do the cakes. :D

Ooooh that is WONDERFUL!   Wish I'd known that last week when we were given some eggs as well as the few from our old girls.  Mind you, I wanted to use up some potatoes that we were given, but were going a bit soft, so I used the eggs making some gnocchi, but they didn't come out very well, they are too heavy, but are quite nice, fried in a little frylight, like little potato cakes!   

I could have used the eggs for lemon curd, but next time will try freezing it in small pots like you said!

Thank you!    :D :D

xx
Lemon curd

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 11:22
by sunshineband
xx
Lemon curd

Started by ohsocute on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 18:54
by chrissie B
xx
Lemon Curd

Started by retiredatlast on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2017, 09:55
by mumofstig
xx
Lemon or Lime curd.

Started by JaK on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

11 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 11:19
by JaK

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 33 queries.