Hen acting very strangely

• 6 Replies

SJC

Hen acting very strangely
« on: February 10, 2014, 19:30 »
I have a hen who is acting very weird.  All is fine in a morning when I let them out and she is fine during the day.  Unfortunately when it comes to bed time the problems start.  All the other hens go into the run for there tea but I have a real battle to coax her in.  She starts doing some very odd walks (John Cleese style) and standing up very straight like a runner duck does.  She will get to the run door way then will suddenly about turn.  I am certain she is not getting bullied, one of the other hens will come out when when she has had her tea and stand with her and then she will finally decide to go in.
She has moulted recently and has just about fully feathered up.  The have been wormed, they have two drinkers one with ACV in and the other has poultry tonic in although with all rain we have been having ignoring these and drinking from the puddle in there field.  There have feeders with layers pellets in and I give a little mixed corn in an evening.

Could this strange behaviour be a lack of vitamin / minerals.  If so any suggestions.

Any advice please would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

ghost61

Re: Hen acting very strangely
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 19:40 »
I don't think its that strange. I too have one that is always more reluctant to go into the run/ bed than the others. I think she is quite clever cos the others fall for the rattling tin trick and go running in to search for the non existent treat, whereas she waits outside to see exactly what I am up to, and if there's no treat, she off! She always struts around at bedtime too. She was top bird once and I think is part of that behaviour, making sure that all is well for the rest of the flock before she eats/ goes to bed.

If she is healthy, don't worry. They are all individuals.

SJC

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:24 »
Hi,

Sorry I have not worded it very clearly she is acting normally but when it comes to going in this is when things change.   She appears extremely confused and disorientated.  She has only started acting like this in the last couple of weeks.   Could this just be the extra stress of the cold wet weather and her moulting?

Thanks

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:35 »
Hens are like humans in the fact that some are early to bed while other leave it till the last moment , the strange behavior may just be that she does not like being left out on her own near roosting time.
In the wild she would have been able to see the other hens at roost on the branches , instead they now just dissappear!
Dusk is one of the favourite hunting times for predators so it paid to be nervous! :)

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:39 »
My hen goes in and out of the house before going to bed.  It's as if she needs to check that everything is ok outside before she retires. The others just put up with her. I doubt if she is 'ill', but moulting may have something to do with it. Try not to worry.  As long as she is otherwise fit and well, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Beano

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 16:31 »
It sounds as if she's scared of something near the run dorway. I wonder is she's seen a rat or a cat in that area at one time and remembers this. Is it getting dark when this happens? Because whatever it is does not spook her in the morning. There might be some object or reflection that is frightening her in that area. Are you able to have a close look and maybe re-arrange things if necessary? I know it sounds wierd but all that stomping and body stretching makes me think that she is scared, especially as she goes in with the company of another hen.
El.

barley

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 20:04 »
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING BEANO

xx
Chicken acting strangely

Started by PJM on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 16:32
by grinling
xx
Jemima acting strangely

Started by luftmenschen on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 10:16
by Sassy
xx
POL Sussex all signs there but not laying, acting strangely

Started by seasnake100 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 17:09
by bantam novice
xx
Chickens are walking strangely

Started by Knighty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 14:52
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.