Budget Polytunnel

• 6 Replies

Fletch24

Budget Polytunnel
« on: September 14, 2021, 12:40 »
Hello, hope youre all keeping safe and well,

Im looking for a polytunnel for the allotment, maybe 4m long x 3m wide. I fully appreciate that you get what you pay for, but i cant go too mad on this.. its going on the allotment and vandals have been known to cause damage sadly.  im thinking of one of the green PVC mesh style ones that seem to be everywhere. Theres so many brands, websites, etc out there and a massive range of reviews both good and bad. Does anyone on here have any recommendations of suppliers or models? Thank you in advance!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Budget Polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 13:58 »
I can't help with specific advice, but often the mesh ones can be quite flimsy.  Whichever one you get, make sure that the edges are well buried or held down, as they can take off quite easily otherwise in a strong wind ...  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 15:21 »
I got one of the green mesh ones from ebay, and the cover was only good for 2 years, in the third year the 'panes' of plastic between the mesh started to fall out and the tunnel became self-watering  ::)
So if it does stay where you put it - be prepared to buy a new cover every few years.

Fletch24

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 15:29 »
I got one of the green mesh ones from ebay, and the cover was only good for 2 years, in the third year the 'panes' of plastic between the mesh started to fall out and the tunnel became self-watering  ::)
So if it does stay where you put it - be prepared to buy a new cover every few years.
Yes a few reviews ive read have said much the same thing... what do most of you use on your plots?
Thanks for your replies btw! Steep learning curve for me this year!

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 08:57 »
Hello,

I got a polytunnel from First Tunnels more years ago than I can remember and it is still going strong.  Earlier in the year my son bought one, also from First Tunnels, which I helped him erect.  Since I got mine First Tunnels have put together an incredibly helpful website with on-line instructions and videos for every aspect of polytunnels.  I would recommend that you have a look at their website and even if you buy elsewhere I'm sure it will be of use in your planning.  Lots of options for purchase, from small to very large, and starting from basic but with options for each and every add-on you might need.

Good luck, Mike.

jambop

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 10:06 »

I bought a very cheap poly tunnel from a company called OOGARDEN about 7 years back which cost me the princely sum of €129 . It is approx 4m x 3m and has a clear plastic cover that is reinforced with a green nylon twine ... in a word BRILLIANT! It takes sunshine and  temperatures you never get in the UK although it does not get much frost. I made a door end for it because it came with zips that eventually rotted. It is still going strong. It has stood up to some very strong winds without any problem at all. I think the thing about these types of tunnel is to make sure the apron of the cover is well covered with soil to prevent issues with wind.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 17:24 »
If you get vandals, then I would not recommend a poly tunnel as they can be easily cut and supports bent.Can the allotment be made more secure with cctv etc? Tomatoes will grow outside, but a bit later to ripen and peppers and chillies can be done under cloches?

xx
Glass Greenhouse on a Budget

Started by Dawn Louise on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 11:03
by japagow
xx
replacing my petrol strimmer on a budget

Started by grendel on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 16:22
by grendel
xx
what polytunnel

Started by muckyboots on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 12:34
by muckyboots
xx
Best Polytunnel ???

Started by Capt Zero on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 19:35
by Doddy

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 45 queries.