Barbara has been beaten up - help

• 3 Replies

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Barbara has been beaten up - help
« on: December 23, 2009, 15:59 »
I wonder if anyone could give me some advice. 

Yesterday evening we noticed loads of feathers in the pen; this morning I realised they are all from one girl, she's very bald now and has been very sheepish today.

One of the others is sticking by her side but i'm worried about her.
I have five girls, two of them were introduced about 6/12 ago but they normally get on fine. They are all between 6/12 & 18/12 old.

I just wondered if you think she'll be ok in this weather and what I can do to stop it happening again, or is it just one of those things?

Thanks
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

treacleminer

Re: Barbara has been beaten up - help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 18:45 »
Is she one of the older ones?  It sounds like a natural moult.  Some hens seem to take ages one feather at a time, and others - often the ones who lay best - dump all their feathers at once.  Make sure she has somewhere sheltered to snuggle up whilst the new feathers are growing and think about perhaps supplementing her layers pellets with extra poultry spice etc. 
There are quite a few threads about moulting on here so you should be able to find more info.

And yes - they do seem to choose the coldest possible times to do it ???

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 00:50 »
if it any help i got 6 scaggy ex-bats in august and 5 looked great within 2 months. Last one effectionately know as Houdini looked bad upto 2 weeks ago then shed loads of feathers in 1 week and grew them back as quick

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:15 »
Thank you for putting my mind at rest.  I thought she may have just had a South London kickin'. 
She has plenty of shelter so I think I've done all I can.

xx
Barbara's impacted crop

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 08:44
by Vember
xx
Advice needed on a badly beaten up chicken.

Started by snowie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2015, 22:52
by snowie

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 36 queries.