layers pellets, which ones

• 19 Replies

nzdunn

layers pellets, which ones
« on: September 04, 2009, 15:13 »
i carnt get the usual layers pellets anymore as i dont seem to be able to get hold of the guy that supplies them so have decided to go onto something else, ive just been to my local feed merchant, i had a look for some organic layers pellets but they were nearly £15, way to much money, so in the end all i could get was Allen and Page layers pellets, there not organic but are gm free, could i ask wot does everyone else use and anyone use the allen and page.    nickyx

dizzylizzie

Re: layers pellets, which ones
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 15:17 »
he nicky...i use the ex-batts, from the smallholder range....which i think are allen&page.... :D

nzdunn

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 15:18 »
yeah this bag ive just got is for the small holder as well but it doesnt say exbatts on it.   nickyx

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 15:33 »
I use Allen and page free range natural layers pellets.  Non GM and no yolk colour enhancers PLUS oil that makes the eggs high in omega 6.  Around £6.00 odd a bag from my frood merchant.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 15:37 by SMD66 »
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 15:36 »
yep thats the ones ive just got, brillant,    nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 20:21 »
I use allen and page organic growers, organic layers and organic mixed corn. Whichever allen and page type you are using you can be sure that they are getting good quality feed  :) . Personally I'm not organic but when I went on a chicken course the lady there fed hers on the above and I loved the taste of her chickens eggs so I have fed mine the same  :D. joyxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38 »
My local suppliers stock Spillers pellets at £7.50 a bag, so that's what I use. I think they are GM free but not organic. My hens seem well on it and are laying. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 09:57 »
we have a youngs animal feed mill near to where i live, the previous owner kept and bred chickens, and still works there, so i use theirs. if he had chickens for 50 years i guess he knew what he was doing.
also a good source of all things chicken and animal, but the best is information, on a saturday morning when he is there. just going now.

martyn

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 10:09 »
I guess what we are all saying is feed your chickens on quality feed from a known source. Some people even mix their own but have been in this game for a lot longer than me and know what they are doing, others though just try and cut corners feeding their girls all sorts of cr*p  :(.  joy xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 13:13 »
We've used Allen and Page before, but now use Farmgate Pellets etc from BOCM Paul.  they are a big company, good feed and free delivery 3 times a week because we buy a lot!  :)

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 13:16 »
wow annie - you get deliveries 3 times a week?? thats a heck of a lot of feed - mind you the turkeys will gobble it all up  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 13:20 »
LOL Joy!  I don't mean we actually have deliveries 3 times a week, but they do deliver to our area 3 times a week!  So I phone them one day and 2 days later its here all the way from Selby!  We probably get through a tonne in a month or 6 weeks, apart from when the turkeys are here.  Last year they ate their way through 5.5 tonne!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 13:23 »
I have to order my feed (nowhere seems to stock it on the shelves) so as long as I place my order before Friday lunch they get it delivered on the following Monday - have to be very carefull when a bank holiday comes up  :( . Did order my growers directly from A and P but the delivery cost is rather high  :ohmy:.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 13:25 »
I use Marriages pellets (and mash) my local feed store stocks it.  A friend gave me some A & P a while back and the chooks wouldn't touch it.   I ended up throwing it away  ::)

It's can be tricky changing brands when they have get used to a particular one.  A bit like brands of baked beans were to my children.  Give them a different one and it was  :tongue2:  

Flowerpower136

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 15:19 »
I use Alan & Page Ex Batt Pellets, though might switch to standard small holder layers pellets when they've feathered up completely.
A little over £9 for a 20 kg sack, which includes a donation to the Batterny Hen Welfare Trust.  Have to order in advance, as my local farm shop can get it, but doesn't normally stock it.

xx
layers pellets

Started by TINTIN on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 21:38
by BestBreast
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by Pat4d on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:15
by Hen 1-0 Fox
question
Layers pellets

Started by Holyfishcakes on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 15:39
by Holyfishcakes
xx
Layers Pellets

Started by puddin1107 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 19:56
by SUTTY1

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 36 queries.