Bitter courgettes

• 17 Replies

Trillium

Re: Bitter courgettes
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 16:09 »
It's always possible that the rhubarb leaves were stressed somehow this year and whatever gave a good flavor before no longer does now.

pfg

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31 »
From the same seeds, some of my courgettes are dark green, some more mottled with yellow.  I think it is just the dark green ones that are bitter - I steamed some with some other veg and swallowed only one mouthful of the spinach and tasted the peas and courgettes.  All were inedible, tainted and bitter and I blamed the spinach for being really ill later.  However two days ago I had two of the courgettes (no bigger than 4 inches each and mottled in colour) and they were fine.  Yesterday I cooked another (dark green) and that was also inedible it was so bitter.  Unfortunately I dug out all the spinach!
The courgettes haven't been fed with any liquid feed, all had poultry manure and home made compost dug in before planting - nothing else on them, but it only seems to be the dark ones (I think) but I daren't try any more.
Is it something to do with the colour?

pfg

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:46 »
I've just found the following on the RHS website:

The bitter taste of some fruit is caused by an over-production of plant defence chemicals called ‘cucurbitacins’. This is mainly a problem in courgettes and summer squash and is caused primarily by a mutation within the plant. The problem is more likely when plants are grown from saved seeds, where inadvertent cross-pollination may have occurred.

Affected fruit should not be eaten as it causes stomach upsets and affected plants should be removed.

xx
Bitter Aubergines

Started by mumsflowerpot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2007, 19:45
by mumsflowerpot
xx
bitter rocket

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 14:22
by JohnB47
xx
bitter peppers

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 25, 2018, 16:50
by strangerachael
xx
Bitter strawberries

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 16:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 38 queries.