new plot finished being weeded etc, phew

• 6 Replies

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
new plot finished being weeded etc, phew
« on: February 21, 2011, 18:22 »
I was given a second plot before Christmas which, fortunately, joins right onto my existing plot, going from 11 rods to 18 rods which eases things up somewhat space-wise.

As seems to be the case with some of the becoming-vacant plots on our site (and a previous site I belonged to up north) the previous tenant did almost nothing for a year and a half and our committee merely suggested he get things sorted rather than became pro-active.  So there was a lot to clear. Now with the help of a couple of friends (to whom I have allocated space on the plot for things they want to grow), it is finally cleared - and a mountain of weeds to burn. What a great feeling, too - I feel like celebrating - but boy it is annoying that committees let things get to such a bad state. A few months or so I can understand, and if folk have issues but 18 months....

Next week's task - help a new couple clear up their plot from the previous tenant. But I don't mind - it is quite theraputic when there are several of you.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: new plot finished being weeded etc, phew
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 19:22 »
Well done! Full of admiration for your achievement.

I don't know the answer about neglected plots, but if I had had an allotment for 20 years, put my life & soul into it, and then fell ill for 6 months or a year, I would be pretty miffed to lose my plot if I then made a complete recovery. (I don't suppose ALL the neglected plots have been perfectly tended for 20 years!!! but it must be difficult to decide where to drawn the line)

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 20:16 »
What a great sense of achievment - and community! My neigbour helped me clear a plot that had not been cultivated for a good 5 yrs, so i know how valuble that help will be to the new couple! my neighbour dug out 5 or 6 tree stups for me.... for a start!

Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Nige2Plots

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 20:28 »
Well done! Full of admiration for your achievement.

I don't know the answer about neglected plots, but if I had had an allotment for 20 years, put my life & soul into it, and then fell ill for 6 months or a year, I would be pretty miffed to lose my plot if I then made a complete recovery. (I don't suppose ALL the neglected plots have been perfectly tended for 20 years!!! but it must be difficult to decide where to drawn the line)
That's a good point Kristen. On our site when that happens several plot holders pool together to tend to the person with health problems plot.
On a lighter note I can think of one occasion when this happened to a certain plot holder who always planted in nice straight lines. Everyone helped to sow his seeds and transplant his seedlings in nice curvey rows. The poor chaps face when he returned after his illness!

grendel

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 20:32 »
still trying to get my half plot dug, car is in for a new exhaust manifold this week, so despite having a week off its too far to get to the plot with my tools.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:42 »
That is a great achievement, I can imagine that must feel great! finally a blank canvas to start with  ::)

I feel your pain over neglected plots. Our parish council found a new site in the village as people had asked if they could have a plot, so I fortunately got a full sized one. Although I'd say there are only about a third of the new plots being used, despite all been allocated/taken. All the plots around mine are overgrown with couch grass and thistle, it's very easy to become dispondent with having to fight these beasties off the edges of mine all the time! But it's worth it. Wish there was a more community feel down my plot, as I could do with some help with the digging and weeding being preggers  :mellow:

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:59 »
I still haven't decided whether I am fortunate or not to have a large enough garden to be able to set aside a large plot as a veg garden.
I have the advantage of being able to pop out and potter when I have a few minutes spare; I don't have to carry all my tools back and forth or worry about thefts; I have a great water supply as I collect all the rain water from every roof; (the sheds, greenhouses and house) and it's great for being able to rush out half way through cooking to grab some extras.
But I still feel I miss out by not having an allotment. 
There is no one there to share my joy and pain and no sense of community and there was no one to help dig it when I turned it from orchard to veg garden, other than hubbie.
At least my chickens stand outside the gate and cluck in a friendly manner (even if it is because they want to be let in)!!!

Well done for all the hard work on clearing the allotment and enjoy every minute of it.

xx
what to do with weeded weeds?

Started by andy_h on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 21:07
by andy_h
xx
Phew what a day

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 20:09
by Nogger
xx
Phew

Started by dougsta on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 20:16
by Elcie
xx
Phew, it's warm out

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 21:21
by Elcie

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.