Coir plugs

• 9 Replies

GraciesGran

Coir plugs
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:04 »
I need to pick people's brains!

Had anyone used those coir plugs that you soak in water before sowing seed in them?.

Were you impressed or otherwise, if you like them what size would you suggest as the most versatile?

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
Re: Coir plugs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 11:55 »
I tried them once when l couldn’t get Jiffy 7s ,  they are looser and more “ mealy “ than J7s , and needed careful attention to keep moist.
I now use “Root it “ natural rooting sponges  ,  they are brilliant , 100 %  rooting success. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 11:58 »
I don't like them, I find it very difficult to keep them evenly watered - they can dry out so quickly, yet at other times seem soaking wet  :wacko:

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 12:09 »
Thank you

Will stick with small pits and loo roll tubes

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 16:26 »
I've been using coir blocks which turn into about 9 litres of coir when soaked, mix them with some MP compost and vermiculite and make soil blocks with the mixture. Found it much easier for seedlings etc, plus no plastic!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 16:27 by bobbyt »

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 18:05 »
never rated coir at all not on my shopping list we found jiffy's 7s  more reliable coir dries out to quick and needs more attention than my jiffy's or plant in my plastic pots no probs

but I'm very interested in "Root it"  as a trial

tempest63

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 21:05 »
I've been using coir blocks which turn into about 9 litres of coir when soaked, mix them with some MP compost and vermiculite and make soil blocks with the mixture. Found it much easier for seedlings etc, plus no plastic!
Can I ask how much of each do you use and if you have found a particular MP compost that you prefer. Very keen to start using my soil blocker which was a Christmas gift.

Would soil blocks be any good for starting peas and beans?

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 16:17 »
Hi
I used :
Coco coir 3 Parts
Fine Vermiculite 1 Part
Sieved MP Compost (any will do) 2 Parts
Soil 1 Part ( I don't always add this, have done without it before).

The compost and soil are used to make the mix stickier, coco coir on its own wouldn't work too well I imagine, also the compost helps with root strength I believe.

Just add water to make a wet mixture, too dry and it won't hold its shape, too wet and it will be too soggy. I was told the consistency is right that if thrown against a wall or something, it will stick to it. I just do it by trial and error, if you scrunch it in your hand and it holds shape, should be about right. Just do a trial run with the soil blocker to see if it works or not, then add water or compost/coir mix as required if it doesn't.

Re the plants I've grown in them, I've only done Sprouts, cabbage,broccoli, lettuce, and tomato. You are restricted by the size of your soil blocker, I think mine is 5cm, hence too small for bean seeds. I start peas straight in the ground, should imagine it would be ok for peas though, as they are smaller size. Just transfer them to 3 inch pots when they get big? Feel free to ask anything else.

tempest63

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 04:54 »
Hi
I used :
Coco coir 3 Parts
Fine Vermiculite 1 Part
Sieved MP Compost (any will do) 2 Parts
Soil 1 Part ( I don't always add this, have done without it before).

The compost and soil are used to make the mix stickier, coco coir on its own wouldn't work too well I imagine, also the compost helps with root strength I believe.

Just add water to make a wet mixture, too dry and it won't hold its shape, too wet and it will be too soggy. I was told the consistency is right that if thrown against a wall or something, it will stick to it. I just do it by trial and error, if you scrunch it in your hand and it holds shape, should be about right. Just do a trial run with the soil blocker to see if it works or not, then add water or compost/coir mix as required if it doesn't.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have quite a free weekend to experiment with so will give it a go.

tempest63

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 12:20 »
Coco coir 3 Parts
Is the quantity of Coco coir measured dry or wet?
From memory the coir comes in great big blocks that you soak in water to expand them.
Thanks for your help.

xx
coconut coir

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2015, 14:10
by cadalot
xx
Coir Compost

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 09:35
by savbo
xx
Coir matting

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2023, 19:03
by Yorkie
xx
Coir plug

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 02, 2014, 12:26
by NewSteve

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 50 queries.