Cockerel personalities

• 4 Replies

pandora

Cockerel personalities
« on: September 23, 2008, 15:04 »
I have a young cuckoo Marans cockerel called Mummy's Boy. He is a very sweet bird, growing well and going to be a rather large chap! He is about 16 weeks old and very handsome. He is calm and quiet, tootles round happily with the other hens and is no bother at all. I have a 4 week old black Pekin that I am 99% sure is a cockerel, and he is a little bruiser already! He is also very handsome, with lovely feathery feet and a nice shape, but he is a bit on the head-banger side iykwim! He already pecks at you and faces up to you if he thinks you might have something he wants.

What are cockerel personalities like? I have never had one before, and don't really need one other than that they are good for looking after your lady hens, and they just so happened to hatch out of the eggs I had. If I keep just one cockerel, which should I go for? Do I want a feisty little Pekin, or is the placid Marans my better choice? Is he likely to stay placid if he is calm now at 16 weeks?

The Marans would suit my hens better. I have 2 Wyandottes and 2 hybrids which are both from Marans stock. If I wished to increase my egg-laying hen supply would he be a good match for these hens or would I be better off with a Wyandotte cockerel for the Wyandotte hens?

Sorry for the 3 million questions! And whichever one is advised to take marching orders, does anyone want him? (I suspect it will be a little black Pekin up for rehoming.)

Bodger

Cockerel personalities
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 11:28 »
Neither Marans or Pekins are noted for laying large numbers of eggs. I wouldn't keep either unless I was intent upon breeding some pure breds. Its hard enough getting rid of pure bred cockerels, let alone mongrels, what are you going to do with the inevitable male birds that you breed ?

woodburner

Cockerel personalities
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 13:13 »
The larger they are the more they hurt. I got my LS at a year old and he was quite a chicken back then. (Pardon the pun.) Now he's a right stroppy b****r!
Years ago I had two chicks out of four turn out to be cockerels and despite growing up together they fought so badly that one nearly died of his wounds, so ended up in the pot. The remainng cockerel terrorised MIL but no-one else until he turned on my two year old son one day, missing his eye by an inch, so he ended up in the pot too.
If you are unable to cull unwanted cockerels (or give them to someone that can) you really don't want to be breeding (or even hatching tbh) any more, so really don't need either.

4 weeks is very young to be sure of the sex, unless you have others of the same breed and same hatching to compare.
Right up to the day when it was clear that both my silkies were laying I was still pretty sure one of them was a cockerel. Silkies are notoriously hard to sex though. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Bodger

Cockerel personalities
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19 »
You're right about sexing silkies WB. :thumright:  Muggings here fed a silkie cross pullet for months only for the beggar to start crowing. :oops:

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Cockerel personalities
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:46 »
I have a silkie cross cockerel, Buster, who is the most gentle bird you could wish for...unless that is..he's defending his ladies from another male. I can pick him up and he doesn't struggle, he gives his girls all the treats, even if I try to give him some! However...he transforms into a fighting machine when he meets my young male peacock ,so all Summer, I've had to keep him in the run unless I stood guard, as they fought really seriously. Poor brave Buster is so much smaller than the peacock that I feared for his safety. At the moment, the hormones have died down and they're pals again...probably be war again next Spring!

I too have been fooled by my silkies, as not only are they difficult (read impossible!!) to sex reliably, but they seem to mature and crow later so you think all is well and then it comes....the dreaded shaky first crowing that for days you try to convince yourself you didn't really hear!!

Despite this silkies are adorable birds, beautiful to look at, gentle natured and they go broody at the drop of a hat so great if you want to hear the patter of tiny feet!!

Judi

xx
Chicken personalities

Started by Spadefighter on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 14:54
by chickenlady
xx
ill cockerel

Started by andyoak on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 07:54
by andyoak
xx
Cockerel Box

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 08:58
by trinamc
xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 35 queries.