We Got an Allotment!

• 3 Replies

Matthew Gayles

We Got an Allotment!
« on: April 05, 2011, 19:55 »
My wife and I were told after a year of waiting we have now got an allotment! As most people would be we are chuffed - only a tenner for rent! bargain!
The plot is a full size allotment apparently, it is big, but narrow. There are 3 Rhubarb crowns and a crazily overgrown patch/rows of raspberries. The plot is very stoney as everywhere is round here and weedy to boot. The previous owner decided to terrace the plot, nobody else has done this so ive spend all day removing a terrace - its not on a slope really just a shallow incline.

Our question is this - how do we tell if the raspberries are autumn or summer fruiting? They dont look like they've been cared for in the last year or two so havent been pruned.
How should i deal with them? they definatly need a bit of tlc i think, some of the canes look kind of dead but are sprouting leaves - what makes me think they are dead is the fact some of the canes are browny green and the "dead" ones are whitey brown. I suppose they could be old canes that are resprouting? This is me very confused and therefore i need a little help. Soil is excellent however so were just working through our planting ideas.

Thankyou!

Remy

• Experienced Member
Re: We Got an Allotment!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 21:00 »
Hi,

Don't know much about rasperries either and I got a few canes that I don't know whether they are autumn or summer. I pruned them at the beginning of the year and cut all the dead looking and old canes.
Rasperries seem to spread underground so they will sprout again. Frutis grow on new canes.

I suppose you could wait to see when the fruits appear to decide if they are autumn or summer ones. That's what I'm doing anyway!!!!

I've got a question for you. My sister in law was midly interested in taking on an allotment after seeing mine. She lives near Colerne and I was wondering if you could give me some details on where about the site is, how much is the rent and possibly how long is the waiting list. Also is it a private on council run site?

Regards

Remy

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 21:16 »
Great news about getting your allotment, not too long of a wait either, some people have to wait years and only £10 rent to boot. Not got any raspberries so can't help too much, I have read that you are supposed to cut down last years growth. Sorry I can't be more help but I'm sure someone will be along with more help

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 21:58 »
Summer fruiting raspberries fruit on last years growth, and Autumn fruiting raspberries fruit on this years growth!

I would prune out and dead looking canes ie those without any leaves on (if there are any). Then keep an eye on what happens to the rest. If you get canes growing rapidly this year and they fruit in the autumn (they will probably still be fairly softish and green) then you are safe to cut everything back after fruiting. If however you have dark canes that fruit in mid summer then you need to be careful and only prune back the canes which have fruited, leaving the softer greenish canes alone until next year.
Good luck
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
New allotment help

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 12:49
by Ema
xx
Just got an allotment!

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:38
by Val H
xx
Help with my first allotment!

Started by andy2017 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 18:27
by Thrutchington
xx
Why You Have An Allotment?

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post February 06, 2008, 09:50
by gobs

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 39 queries.