Off on holiday ......

• 7 Replies

Carolf

• Experienced Member
Off on holiday ......
« on: August 09, 2011, 19:09 »
..... with the 3 terrors in tow  :blink:

We are going on our normal canal holiday but this time we are taking the 3 dogs with us because our normal kennels is full.  The guys we get the boat from - Ashby boats (and I can highly recommend them if anyone is interested in narrowboat holidays - been with them for 12 years now) - are putting a 'fence' around the back of the boat to keep the little blighters from falling in :nowink:

I suspect there will be a few wet dogs before the holiday is over  :D

We leave on Saturday and my sister and her OH are coming up from Newcastle to watch over the chooks (thought of taking them (chooks) with but that would be a wee bit OTT  :tongue2: ). So, hopefully some humorous pics of dogs in canals and with a bit of luck and a tail wind a good pic of hubby in the very same canal  :tongue2:
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Off on holiday ......
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 19:39 »
My cousin has three dogs (springer spaniels) and takes them on their narrow boat whenever they go.

Just a word of warning --- don't let them in the cabins wet  :lol: :lol: :lol:

His are happy to sleep on the foredeck on their blankets. If it is raining he erects a tarp for them  :) :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 19:49 »
Hope you have a great time.  Keep the camcorder handy as you could make some money of their exploits.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

wighty

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 21:00 »
When we did a narrow boat holiday the only person to get wet was my mum,she did the 'one, two, three, one two three' lead up to jumping on to the bank and then just 'stepped into the water.'  The two fishermen fell off their stools laughing and I couldn't move to get the camera as my dad fished her out as I was laughing so much.  Great holiday but I was six months pregnant and so not allowed to help out with locks etc.  I was Chief Tea Lady!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:23 »
Have you got little life jackets for them?

It didn't happen, but we always said if we took our Terrier on a narow boat holiday, he'd end up in the water most of the time by choice. ::) :D Now, the Border Collie is a different matter....  :nowink:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:53 »
lol Wighty, your post made spit tea all over my laptop from laughter  :tongue2:  I remember years ago mooring up and hubby was hanging on to the back of the boat keeping it close to the side while I tied up the front (I do all the tying up as hubby is pretty rubbish at it) and as I looked up the boat was getting further and further away from him.   There he was stretched across a bit of canal, feet on the tow path and hands on the boat.  Needless to say a nice splash ensued, but alas I was the same as you, too busy laughing to think about grabbing the camera  :D

@ argyllie - We are hoping to borrow a life jacket for the westie as I suspect he has all the swimming attributes of a brick  :tongue2:  The 2 JRT's will be fine so no worries there.  ;)  Our last 2 JRT's had a few dips in the canals.  The first time one went in was when she spotted ducks on the water and we could almost see her thought process as just ran towards them and fell in. I reckon she thought 'If they can walk on water then so can I'.  Ermmmm nope you can't madam  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32 »
Don't you just love 'em! :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:01 »
we took our two - newfoundland cross (that hates water) and a Neapolitan mastiff and both hated the locks - I think they thought they were sinking when they could see their dad getting further away from them.
Also not being used to having people near the house they didn't like people walking past the boats when we were moored up so next time we go narrowboating we will go without the dogs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
A chap I met on holiday

Started by noshed on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2010, 22:46
by pigeonpie
xx
Using kennels whilst on holiday

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 15:41
by Diddy Gardener

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 29 queries.