Update on Rusty (rescue Springer)

• 12 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Update on Rusty (rescue Springer)
« on: April 14, 2012, 21:32 »
Hi all!

Well I thought I should give you an update on Rusty the rescue Springer Spaniel I took on three weeks ago. 

Well, i'm pleased to say that he is still being a star!  We have started dog training and he has proved to be very sociable with the other dogs and incredibly trainable.  We are due to start agility classes next Saturday.  After doing a fair bit of research on diets i've also changed him on to a raw diet, he is only on chicken at the mo but he will have different meats added gradually.

Untitled by Tessmess85, on Flickr

He loves his sister Tessa, not sure she is too keen though!  He is very careful with her which is nice as she is going to be 15 this year.

Yesterday we went on an 8 mile walk round Kingsclere along the Wayfarers route... he loved it!

Think I wore him out!

Tired puppy :-) by Tessmess85, on Flickr

Today we went to the Newbury "All About Dogs" show were he had a go at lure chasing, agility, flyball and jumping over strawbales to a toy.  He loved the lure chasing- I think he wants to be a Greyhound!! He had a lot of fun talking to every one :-)

He has also been to work with me a couple of times, everyone in the office loves him and he is possibly the most laid back Springer I have ever known...

So downsides... he loves chasing hares and rabbits.  This is very very naughty and something I need to stop!-

Naughty Rusty chasing a hare!! by Tessmess85, on Flickr

And one more naughty trait, he likes sleeping on the back of the sofa when we are out as he can look out the window!  I think he thinks he is an ornament...

Oliveview

Re: Update on Rusty (rescue Springer)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 22:10 »
What a beautiful dog you have, or should I say dogs.  Did he catch the hare? :lol:

Pamela

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 22:33 »
aww he is such a stunning springer looks very settled too. My 3 dogs are all on raw diet and always get complimented on their looks and health so i have always sworn by a raw diet.http://www.naturalinstinct.com/ dont know if you have already heard of this company but they are fantastic for raw feeders.  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 22:56 »
I have a friend who I visited today, she has a very large garden and is trying to stock it with plants.  Problem is the hares seem to like nearly everything she plants so she has to chicken wire round the plants.  I was just saying to her that she needed a good dog to chase them away.  So if Rusty ever wants a job I will put a good word in for him!   :blush:

Both he and Tessa are beautiful and look very settled.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 23:25 »
No no, he put up a good chase (and I have to say... at the time if he had of caught it I wouldn't of needed to give him tea!!) but the hare went to ground (phew!).

Funny you should mention natural instinct as that is what he is on!  I've tried him out on a couple of raw bits of chicken as well mainly for his teeth.  His teeth are pretty poor with signs of plaque already so I want him to do a bit of gnawing and chewing as well :-) He is only on the chicken variety at the moment.. It is very easy to feed though.  Glad to hear it has other people raving about it- I went to the pet shop to get a decent dry food but the shop assistant suggested it.

I think Rusty would love that job!! He likes to chase wood pigeons as well if that is any use?

They are both lovely I have to admit... I will have to do Tess a separate thread at some point as she is a bit mift that she can't do all the things rusty can :-( 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 23:59 »
Rusty would come in handy in my garden for the wood pidgeons.  I stopped feeding the birds as I was plagued by them.   :lol:

I am sure Tess has earned her retirement. 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28 »
Beautiful pictures of gorgeous dogs. I am so pleased Rusty has turned out so well, an eye opener to those people who think rescue dogs are all nasty nutters.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:14 »
Lovely pictures, thanks for the update. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 19:06 »
natuaral instincts chicken carcasses are great keeps em chewing for hours so good for teeth but also for bones try speaking to some of your local butchers ours gives me a bin bag full of lamb and chicken bones for a pound. I do have to split all our dogs up when there eating though else they would eat each other lol ::) its the only time they ever get funny with each other there like a pack of wolves  :lol:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:24 »
What beautiful dogs! I love the photo with the flying ears - you're doing well to take photos of such a lively young dog.

We have always had rescue dogs & currently have 2 rescue Springers - an old lady of about 14 & a young upstart rising 3 - so I know that catching them stationary is quite a challenge!

And to those who say rescue dogs are a risk, I would say to choose the rescue organisation carefully and go to one which clearly knows their dogs well and has a robust process for assessing prospective owners.  Full marks on this to Battersea and also to the Springer rescue we went through last year, who say they turn down 9/10 prospective owners before they even get to see a dog.
ManicMum

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27 »
Lovely dog you have there. Always watch him while he's eating his food to make sure nothing gets stuck. This is true of all dogs but raw food you have the added worry of bones getting fast in the top of the mouth etc. They chuck their food down so need keeping an eye on  :)

My brother has just got his second rescue springer and is taking it to lessons. His last springer was fully trained and beautifully behaved when he got it but that was just pure luck. They are lovely animals, if a bit boisterous  :)  Life will never be dull for you now  :D

Agatha

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 14:10 »
Beautiful photos.  I love the one of him running towards you with his ears flying!  He has really fallen on his feet!

Can't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but I've managed to get Bonnie to stop chasing deer & hares by training her to look at the deer & then to me for a treat.  Might be worth trying this with Rusty.  (We are still working on rabbits...though she is better than she was.)  I wasn't worried about the deer & hares so much as what would happen if bonnie followed them into a field of sheep or over a busy road...
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Thrift

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:38 »
Beautiful photos of lovely dogs. Rusty is very lucky to have such a wonderful environment to dash around in.

Well done, another rescue dog with abrilliant home.  :D

xx
Springer Spaniels

Started by rainie on Pets without Feathers

64 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 07:55
by twissle
xx
Dog Rescue

Started by jamima on Pets without Feathers

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 10:44
by jamima
clip
Blind Cat Rescue

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:41
by John
question
Puppy or rescue dog.

Started by Lardman on Pets without Feathers

61 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 14:03
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.