comfrey Tea

• 14 Replies

flopsy

comfrey Tea
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:01 »
Hi
this is my first year on the allotment so still new to things.
I have a comfrey patch which is full of big green leaves, my qustion is what is best to do withit strip the leaves and put them in the composter or make comfrey tea ready for new year.
How long does comfrey tea last before it goes off?
cheers pete

savbo

Re: comfrey Tea
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:09 »
I used the tea after leaving for the winter, I think it doesn't 'go off' in the sense that the minerals it contains are still there, but it will be even whiffier after several months. I use the milk container method for reducing stink...

you'll have to be quick though cos the comfrey plant will be pulling the nutrients back into its roots now before dying back.

savbo

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12 »
i'd be tempted to stick it on the compost heap - there'll be time enough to brew some up next year, assuming you have a decent supply of comfrey, and the soup really really reeks, so not having it on the plot for as long as possible seems like a good idea to me (even with a lid keeping it at bay - accidents happen).

bigben

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:25 »
A consideration if you make tea is -what are you putting it in over the winter? If it freezes and cracks then all is lost. This is not a worry if you put the leaves in your compost.

flopsy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 16:10 »
Hi thanks for all your replies
cheers pete

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 20:04 »
I cram as many leaves as I can into old plastic milk containers then top up with water, screw the lid back on and leave it alone until next year. If I allow an one inch gap at the top even if it freezes solid (like last year) the containers don't fracture. I have never had the top come off and I simply store them stoodup in a quiet corner of the lotty until needed. Dilute 10 - 1 when using and rescrew the lid back on ASAP to keep the whiff down to a minimum. A seasons worth of free plant food for a few minutes effort.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 20:07 »
I cram as many leaves as I can into old plastic milk containers then top up with water, screw the lid back on and leave it alone until next year. If I allow an one inch gap at the top even if it freezes solid (like last year) the containers don't fracture. I have never had the top come off and I simply store them stoodup in a quiet corner of the lotty until needed. Dilute 10 - 1 when using and rescrew the lid back on ASAP to keep the whiff down to a minimum. A seasons worth of free plant food for a few minutes effort.

I like that plan a lot Stentman -- so much better than my bucket   :D

I shall save some milk containers from work -- at home we have waxed cartons  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

bigben

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:43 »
I use the same method Stentman - but it is good to know they dont split when they freeze. I might use up what is left on the plot to make up some for early next year.

Pompey Spud

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 14:40 »
I've just taken the last cutting and stuffed all the leaves etc into my 4 bins mixed with all the other plant waste.

A good activator to get the process going.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 18:27 »

What a great idea... i have just started some comfrey in pots so will get to plant into bigger tubs next year.. Will give the milk bottles a go when i have some leaves to do it with..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 18:51 »
I use the same method Stentman - but it is good to know they dont split when they freeze.

I noticed that milk stored in the freezer doesn't split the containers, so I reckoned leaving them outside would be safe even with a sharp frost.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 21:11 »
I've just taken the last cutting and stuffed all the leaves etc into my 4 bins mixed with all the other plant waste.

A good activator to get the process going.

Given the high carbon content of the stuff we all put in our bins at clear-up time, an activator is a good idea right now  :D :D :D

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 11:52 »
We've rescued about thirty seeds from some local comfrey. It certainly isn't Bocking, and I would of course have preferred to grow that, but economies kick in at the moment...

I'll pop the seeds in come early spring and stand well back... (unless anyone suggests I sow them sooner).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 19:41 »
Would they be landing on the ground in the wild right now, cos if so you could sow them .... now  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 05:36 »
Yes, I supose they would KC!

Righhhhht; another job for today - glad we're up early...

xx
Comfrey

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2007, 05:22
by WG.
clip
Comfrey

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2021, 21:02
by Yorkie
wireless
comfrey

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 09:59
by MOLUSC
xx
Comfrey tea

Started by BARNACLE BILL on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 03, 2018, 18:14
by arh

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 35 queries.