Comfrey?

• 14 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Comfrey?
« on: January 15, 2014, 19:38 »
Hi.

Down the road from us there's always masses of comfrey.  I plan on filling up my trailer a few times and making a nice rich liquid feed.

Question is...what crops will really benefit?  I'm sure it's better for some things than others.  Is there a list out there?

TIA

Adri

cadalot

Re: Comfrey?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 20:15 »

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 20:18 »
Check that you may take the leaves from the landowner, if you can.....  Ask a mate for a bit of root to make your own plants is probably less contentious!

Having said that, it's marvellous in the greenhouse for toms, peppers, cukes etc. and spuds love it.  Also good in the compost bin.  But it doesn't half pong, so beware!

Geordie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 22:27 »
I made some comfrey tea from a final cut last year and forgot about it  :wacko:

Stinks to high heaven but is it worth decanting into containers to use later this year?

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 07:45 »
Leaves go into the bottom of my potato trench & on the compost bin as an activator. Made into tea as said in previous post,if you end up with gallons it will benefit any plant. Depends how you make it,I normally make it without water & dilute to suit. You obviously don't end up with so much liquid to store that way. If you put it in water it is very smelly,then there's emptying the leaves out that I find a drag. But they can go on the compost at that point
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

blackberryjam

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45 »
Leaves go into the bottom of my potato trench & on the compost bin as an activator. Made into tea as said in previous post,if you end up with gallons it will benefit any plant. Depends how you make it,I normally make it without water & dilute to suit. You obviously don't end up with so much liquid to store that way. If you put it in water it is very smelly,then there's emptying the leaves out that I find a drag. But they can go on the compost at that point

Got some comfrey last year for free, How do you make it without water snowdrops. I've never used it before but I know it stinks when you make it with water, someone used it on the allotment last year, it smells a bit like sewage.
If you can put up with the smell it must be worth it the plot owner had a bountiful crop.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:01 by blackberryjam »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06 »
Just chop it up and ram it all into a plastic barrel with a small hole in the bottom. Hang it above a container to catch the drips that will start after a while.. this is strong so mix with water and use diluted.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

savbo

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 10:10 »
I like to ram leaves into a 4 pint milk container then top up with water, put cap on and leave. Then you have the tea for diluting without too much smell....I line up the containers so I know what's the ripest :)

sav

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13 »
How do you make it without water

You might also want to try a comfrey pipe - a length of downpipe fixed to a wall, with funnel into a bottle on the bottom, a cap on the top and a weight on a string inside. The longer the pipe, the more juice you can produce. Lots of pictures/how-to's on the internet.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 14:54 »
OR, you can chop up the leaves and spread them thickly around the base of the plants (ideally in a trench that you can water into) replace/top up the leaves every couple of weeks and you get all the benefits with none of the pong. worked wonders on my toms last year,  no other feed required.
Rachael

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 15:37 »
I made some comfrey tea from a final cut last year and forgot about it  :wacko:

Stinks to high heaven but is it worth decanting into containers to use later this year?

It's still good though it will pong something awful  :D Do it on a non-windy day to lessen the aromatic impact  ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 17:36 »

You might also want to try a comfrey pipe - a length of downpipe fixed to a wall, with funnel into a bottle on the bottom, a cap on the top and a weight on a string inside. The longer the pipe, the more juice you can produce. Lots of pictures/how-to's on the internet.

Snap to mine but a smaller version..  ::)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 18:12 »
When can you expect to see a 'little action' from comfrey? I planted a few cuttings last year that seemed to take ok - but a couple of them seem to have gone missing now - I *may* have turned over the area they were in...

Cheers,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 19:39 »

Snap to mine but a smaller version..  ::)

Yep, same-same but different. :D Am gradually adding pipes to the shed. I like the bucket idea, but I am so very clumsy I would tip it over at some point...and I know from this year how fragrant that makes me  :lol:

When can you expect to see a 'little action' from comfrey? I planted a few cuttings last year that seemed to take ok - but a couple of them seem to have gone missing now - I *may* have turned over the area they were in...

Cheers,
Balders

I pulled all mine out to move it, or thought that I had. Later in summer I had 3 new plants pop up in the same place. If you've turned it over, you might have more plants than you started with. It grows back from a scrap of root, though it might not be apparent yet. Mine's still in winter mode, so I have no leaves on any of them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 19:39 by surbie100 »

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 06:46 »
When mine show their heads again - I'm going to extract one and chop it up and produce more to go down along my boundary along the access path - you can't have too much Comfrey

xx
where do I get comfrey?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 23:44
by shokkyy
xx
Comfrey

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 08:46
by Yorkie
xx
comfrey

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 13:33
by aelf
xx
comfrey

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 21:40
by maxie

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 36 queries.