Bad boys

• 5 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Bad boys
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:42 »
I heard a right commotion this morning and when I went to investigate found Wellington my Welsummer Cock pecking the heck out of poor old Mr Darcy my Orpington Cock.  Darce was laying as if dead when I got to him but when I picked him up he was breathing heavy but ok.  I gave him a big cuddle and put him in the garage to recover from his ordeal and he has now come out and is feeding again.

It was odd because last night I found him roosting in the greenhouse which is dry and draught free so maybe he should be allowed to stay there tonight if he does it again.

I don't want to have to lose any of them but don't want him to be bullied either and I know if I sold him he would probably go for eating.

All in all a very distressing morning :cry:

Plus side, lots of my girls are laying and I have an abundance of eggs, in fact with the duck eggs I have them coming out of my ears so to speak  :lol:

Foxy

Bad boys
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 12:32 »
Oh Sandra, what a shock! Poor D'arcy :(  :(
Hope he is OK, Orpys are so gentle aren't they. I had a similar situation with Romeo and Priscilla - Priscilla "top cock" managed to get out and in a terrible fight with Romeo. It was a fight to the death if I hadn't had intervened I think, I guess thats nature though. Each cock has his own flock and luckily have enough space to keep them apart. :?  :? Romeo even intimidates my cats!

slowef

Bad boys
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 22:44 »
Hi Foxy, yes he has been through the wars today so I let him roost in the little room at the end of the greenhouse tonight.  I am going to have to keep an eye out but I can't see what happening every minute of the day unfortunatly.  I am going to ask my daughters OH to come and build me another run so that I can do some seperating.  I have loads of room, its just time and weather that holds us up. :?

Selkie

Bad boys
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:03 »
:D so this story will have a happy ending!!

slowef

Bad boys
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 16:48 »
Doubtful  he is really getting nasty with the others now so I shut him in the run on his own all day and left the rest out in the garden to get some peace.  I think he will have to go as he is a big bird and some of my poor little girls are going to get hurt by him.  It is a shame as he is magnificent but he is so rough with them. :cry:

Selkie

Bad boys
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 17:11 »
oh that's so sad, but it does sound like you've tried really hard to do the best for him

xx
How can I help the boys get along together?

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2007, 16:41
by Lost in France
question
boys or girls?

Started by sunshineband on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 01, 2009, 16:28
by sunshineband
xx
girls from boys

Started by joyful on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 03:22
by joyful
xx
What food for boys?

Started by Anndee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 14:38
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 38 queries.