Feeding

• 4 Replies

Des C

Feeding
« on: January 31, 2007, 09:45 »
Another very basic question from a beginner, I'm afraid. I have had my birds for about a fortnight now and have been feeding as follows:
First thing - Layers pellets ( I bought them on the breeders advice and am using them up) plus any edible vegetation including fruit ad lib.
Evening  - mixed corn and more greens including dandelions etc.
Water with cider vinegar available always.
The birds' appearance has transformed in a short period and they are actually starting to shine.They must have been on a fairly sparse diet before. I'm getting an average of three eggs per day from five birds.
I'm just a little worried that I'm overfeeding or that the diet is a bit rich.
Will hens overeat to the point where their health is affected?
ps The birds are still relatively confined as I have not let themout of the pen yet.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Des C

muntjac

Feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:13 »
sounds to me as if they are blooming matey . as for health problems .thay will get fat if they eat to much and believe me they will and fat chucks stop laying . this previos post may help you

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

grannie annae hon can i ask ya to put some cider vinegar a cup to a gallon for now in thier water drinkers and also wormer. if your hybrids are not putting meat on they have a problem , i wont tell you how to feed them but a good hen should have 4-6 oz of feed daily . i have 180 birds approx and i make up a dustbin full of bran and seed 6 stone ,1344 oz - 7.oz per bird approx and they range as you have seen in the pics for other stuff all my feed is taken by the end of the day . i only feed once a day no titbits .

Des C

Feeding
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:33 »
Thanks for that, Muntjac. What about those feeders which hold several kilos of feed? I was thinking of buying one for later in the year when we might be away for a full day. Won't the birds just stuff themselves or is the flow of grain regulated in some way?

muntjac

Feeding
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 12:29 »
i think i spoke about them in another recent post .i dont like them but if you have to go away just put the days feed in your feeder tray they will just not be having anmy afters at bedtime is all,besides it doesnt hurt for them to go without one day . im sure they dont get fed every day if they was wild , same as my dogs i dont feed them mondays to allow the systems to clear  been doing it in the family for century so dont see no need to stop now  besides my dogs dont look like they are starved

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Feeding
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 15:07 »
Great advice Muntjac.  Just make sure they have plenty of fresh water  :D

xx
Feeding

Started by cock o the north on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 00:19
by Robin Redbreast
xx
feeding mum

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 12:51
by agingchick
xx
Hen feeding

Started by babradburn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 17:59
by compostqueen
xx
different way of feeding?

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 09:56
by bubs

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.