Vacuum seals on Kilner jars

• 3 Replies

rugbyman

Vacuum seals on Kilner jars
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:49 »
Just about to make a batch of beetroot chutney. Grow at my allotment. Have purchased some Kilner Jars with a vacuum seal but , I know this may sound a bit dumb, how do I make the vacuum. The instructions inside the jar are not all that clear.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

plum crumble

Re: Vacuum seals on Kilner jars
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:01 »
don't worry, it's not a dumb question at all. when you put the hot chutney into the warm sterilised jars and seal them, the chutney then cools down. The cooler contents, including the steam they were producing, take up less space in the jar. This reduction in size "sucks in" and creates the vacuum.  :D
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

rugbyman

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:11 »
Doh!  ??? I should have listened at school. Thank you. 

hamstergbert

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 15:52 »
It will help if as soon as you have tightened the lids down you can stand a plank of wood or some such across the tops (even books at a push) and plonk bricks or other suitably heavy item on top to ensure the lids are firmly down during the cooling and contraction phase - some seals need a bit of a help like this if they have a slight tendency to pass.   Anything heavy will do - glat irons, pans of water, weight is the only thing that matters.  Once fully cooled the air gap and contents should have shrunk sufficiently to make a stable good seal (in recycled jam jars etc enough to suck down the telltale in the lid, and in the case of clip top kilners enough to withstand the clip being loosened, scret top kilners the metal lockring unscrewed and the glass top stays rock solid unless you tug at it sharply).

Before starting of course make sure the seals are well washed and free of any bits of grit etc that would reduce the seal gastight integrity.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
kilner jar seals

Started by sarajane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2012, 16:24
by my_woolly_jumper
xx
Very Old Kilner Jars

Started by jmc1949 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 15:39
by mumofstig
xx
Kilner Jars

Started by matilda duck on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 19:09
by mumofstig
xx
kilner jars

Started by tenderness on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post December 06, 2007, 21:44
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 34 queries.