OK to move strawberries?

• 9 Replies

JohnB47

OK to move strawberries?
« on: September 27, 2010, 17:13 »
Hi.

I planted sone strawbs last spring and they didn't do too well. Perhaps to be expected - they were very young and it was extremely dry down here and I simply couldn't keep up with the watering.

There are quite a few runners that I want to plant up but I want to move the whole shebang to a different spot. Is it OK to move the 'old' plants now or will that effect their potential for lots of fruit next year? If there's any risk of that I might, reluctantly, leave them where they are.

Varieties are Florence and Royal Sovereign (if that matters).

Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: OK to move strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 18:02 »
Try this thread from yesterday for starters  :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=65772.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 19:38 »
Thanks, but a bit worried that, on that thread, DD said "established plants don't like being moved."

Any views on that?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 19:45 »
I'm only growing strawbs for the first time this autumn so can't specifically say one way or the other.

However, applying what DD has said, I suspect they would be happier not being moved.  Also, after 3 years their vigour decreases and you need new plants again.

Do they have to be moved for next year?  Could you take runners this year, and plant them in the new spot, yet take your harvest from the existing bed next year, before digging it up completely?

If they do have to be moved and cannot stay put, then you've got nothing to lose by trying to move them I guess.

digalotty

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 21:02 »
if you decide to move them then leave as much dirt on the roots as you can
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 21:33 »
Had 30 bare root plants delivered today from T&M which are obviously 'moved' and are listed as to be delivered by the end of october....so it would appear T&M consider them ok to uproot and resite right through the autumn....they reckon they will crop next year....I hope they are right ::)....planted tonight,just time before it got dark!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 21:58 »
If you have to move them, as digalotty says, try taking a great big clump of soil with them. As I an other have found out, if you disturb an established plant when trying to dig a dock weed out, for instance, it doesn't take too kindly to being put back in.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 13:12 »
Thanks all.

cjskts

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 23:58 »
I dont know if it helps, but we planted 75 strawberries in March/April when we got allotment. But they we decided they were taking up too much space, so we built a strawberry pyramid. We moved 50 strawberries into the new planter in August. Yes, they looked a bit fed up for about 2 weeks, but are going mad again now. Some are producing fruit (have 3 different varieties) and the others are madly throwing out runners! lol. We have since dug out the other 25, mounded up their bed and covered in black matting and re-planted. Again, they looked a bit fed up for a week or 2, but they have also perked up. We watered well for first few days and then left them to it. We didn't even leave much soil around the roots because DH just dug them out before i had a chance to tell him to leave the roots alone as much as possible. lol

1jim

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 22:21 »
would love to see your strawberry pyramid, dont suppose you have any pictures do you?

xx
Strawberries O.K. to move?

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 21:59
by Paul Plots
xx
Move strawberries

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 21, 2020, 12:35
by Kleftiwallah
xx
when to move strawberries

Started by keeper on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 14:18
by keeper
xx
best time to move strawberries and autumn raspberries

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2017, 11:44
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 34 queries.