Round Up

• 22 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Round Up
« on: April 01, 2009, 16:48 »
I've inherited some currant bushes on my allotment and though they're greening up really well, their bases and the surrounding ground is full of weeds. I was just about to start weeding them this morning (a big task), when one of the old boys told me to douse the weeds in RoundUp - is that OK to do now the bushes are growing well or should I just knuckle down to some serious good old fashioned weeding (which is how I've cleared the rest of the plot)? I'm not necessarily after the easy route though there does now seem heaps to do especially as the weeds seem to be growing quicker than the crops!!! Thank you.

lightyears

Re: Round Up
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 16:51 »
correct me please someone if im wrong, but doesn't round up only work when the weed is in very fast summer like growth? some might still be dormant at the moment

Can you eat that?

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 17:10 »
Years ago on a different plot I had some goose berry bushes in the same state. In the end I just cut the weeds back as if they were a lawn. It didn't seem to hurt the crop they yielded .

And it certainly saved my back  from an extra bit of digging.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 17:16 »
My understanding of Roundup is that it must be sprayed on the leaves of the plant to have any effect... I sprayed some on some young weed's (docs, nettles etc) last week and they are showing signs of dying already :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 17:27 by AndyRVTR »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 17:26 »
I'll be doing my path edges with it soon. (Confession),
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vegikev

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 18:14 »
hi. roundup (as far as i understand) has glysophate in it , if thats the case then i would not use it if the currents are in leaf. glysophate is not selective and will take no prisioners
"mission"to grow bigger veg than my brother

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 18:20 »
You can do it, (I have), but you have to be very, very careful.

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 18:20 »
It is used commercially on asparagus beds before the shoots show, so if your bushes are still dormant, it might be ok, but I don't like the stuff and wouldn't take the risk.
If the buds are starting to shoot I would say it's a definite no-no.

My plan for my fruit bushes is to mulch them with cardboard, for a few months til the weeds are dead then plant dwarf comfrey as ground cover to prevent their return.
Mypex and wood/bark chippings is probably the more traditional method though. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 18:46 »
Thank you all for your advice, because the bushes look so lovely and green, I'm going to mulch and if the mood takes me I'll weed - and if it's a complete nightmare in the autumn I'll think again about the Roundup then!

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 19:16 »
I had the same problem with inherited currants and gooseberries. After years of fighting the weeds I finally got round to putting down a weed-proof membrane ( the heavy, woven one ) cut to fit round the plants and topped with woodchip.
Looks really tidy and reduces the work and in spring I can lift an edge and add some Blood Fish & Bone
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

paintedlady

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:00 »
In January I found some concentrated dregs in an old bottle - I just wanted to get rid of the bottle, so diluted it down into a spray bottle and sprayed a load of invading grass that was bugging me - I didn't expect much to happen (cold, damp, "dormant", wrong time of the year etc etc) BUT no-one was more surprised than me to find it successfully killed off the grass (albeit it took longer) ... so don't be too quick to say its the wrong time of the year to use glyphosate!  ;)

Last year I did the mulching with the cardboard and bark chippings on top round the bushes with quite a lot of success.  Unfortunately bindweed & marestail can still find its way through the tiniest gap  :mad:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:04 »
We use Round up alot on the farm it is systemic so only work on the leaves and then it is digested into the plant and dying off starts 2-3 weeks later.

Great on grass, weeds etc. but I would NOT use it on any fruit /veg that is being eaten

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 10:55 »
If your bushes branches are clear of the ground I would be tempted to apply Roundup and then put down a weed-proof membrane with wood chips or bark.

I would not use a sprayer for fear of chemical drifting on to green leaves or buds. Best is to use a watering can with a T shaped dribble bar. A dribble bar is also useful for doing areas like path edges. Roundup can be absorbed through bark, especially if it young and green so avoid Roundup getting on the stems. A plastic bag wrapped round helps.

Ropster

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 12:27 »
I have just cleared half of my plot with roundup and it worked a treat so it isnt the wrong time, as long as there are leaves to absorb it it should kill the weeds.
But as people have said above if you get it on the currant it will kill that as well, so be carefull

I think weed matting is the best option, enhance the effect by putting a few layers of newspaper under it to give full light exclusion

Stripey_cat

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 00:32 »
I'm not sure whether this is legal or not, but you can put glyphosate-based weedkillers on with a paint-brush.  Get the cheap sort from Wilkos (for emulsion, not watercolours!), and keep it just for gardening.  Do be careful not to drip on your hands or clothes. 

xx
round up etc

Started by Sapphire on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 14:21
by Sapphire
xx
round up

Started by chisel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 22:51
by chisel
xx
Round up

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 19:02
by teflon
xx
Little round courgettes

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 13:28
by Endymion

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.