using toilet rolls as pots

• 21 Replies

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Re: using toilet rolls as pots
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 00:11 »
I used them once - never again....nuff said

Growing veg is not an exact science on the plot. Try something, if it works for you good, if not try something else. After all its only a plant, not the end of the world. I agree....enough said, time to move on from this topic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 00:20 by Steve.P »
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 00:27 »
Why is it time to move on from this subject? True the views posted so far have mainly been against using toilet roll holders but there has been a couple plus views to.

So if there are any 'if it works for you good' views i wold like to hear more of them.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

coatesi

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 06:55 »
I agree Morewhiskey
                                  I can see my parsnips as I post this and half of them are T/Roll transplants. I use the rolls to grow replacements for any misses I have had when I plant my main crop of snips. I germinate them in the green house to the four leaf stage, about two weeks,and then use a piece of PVC pipe to take a plug along the row and pop them in where needed. Cut the roll lengthways as you plant and keep them well watered.
coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

spongebob

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 14:03 »
thankyou all for your post

im going to have ago with them as i have a black bag full ::) i'll just do 50/50 some in pots and some in rolls as theres no harm in trying

:wacko: i just want to get on with planting  :wacko: but i'll wait ;)

penance

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 14:54 »
I tried it last years with french beans.
They did no where near as well as the direct sown ones.

SalJ1980

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 21:02 »
I did it last year with peas and sweetcorn.

Both worked fine - the peas were a second attempt having sown the first lot directly into the ground and 1 lone plant grew. When I sowed them in loo roll inners I had a great germination rate - only two or three failed from about 35 sown.

Sweetcorn was a similar result - very few failures and the plants all grew lovely and strong. I had a block of 12 (small I know, but I was late sowing and wondered if it was worth a try) and most had two cobs by the end of the season. Unfortunately, due to me planting late and the cr*p summer none of them ripened... >:(

The outsides of the rolls did go a bit mildewy, but I found a good watering system that worked well for me - I only filled them with compost to about 1/2-1cm from the top, then when I watered I used an old water bottle with a sports cap, then just squeezed a good squirtful of water into the top of the tube - this was just about enough to fill the tube to the top. This was more successful than sprinkling water over the top of the trayful of tubes, which would have soaked the cardboard quicker than squirting into the top.

Hope this makes sense!  :)

Sal

Organic...so far!

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 21:44 »
well - to expand slightly on my brief earlier reply....

The use of toilet roll tubes is generally a bit hit and miss.  I did a straw poll at the lottie shop last year and some people had found them ok and some not.

I know for a fact that in the manufacture of a lot of consumable paper and cardboard products (the packaging as well as the things in them) fungicides are one of the chemicals they add to the product to stop moulds forming, the downside of this is there is no way of telling as to the concentrations.  Some fungicides inhibit germination. 

I make my biodegradable pots out of newspaper by a handy little gadget i got years ago...
Death OR Cake ???

xx
Empty toilet rolls

Started by Lupin lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 18:55
by mr Isaccs
xx
Empty toilet rolls

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 17:03
by Jono
xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 08:08
by lucywil
xx
Leeks & Toilet Rolls

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post April 29, 2012, 18:40
by fluffstermum

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 32 queries.