No eggs AGAIN

• 14 Replies

Andy999

No eggs AGAIN
« on: September 14, 2008, 12:39 »
Hi,
Im hope for some more great advice.My hens have not laid a single eggs for he past 10 days. I have 4 Babcocks which are around 8 months old and had up until now been laying 3-4 eggs a day. I add another 4 hens ( Marans & Light Sussex) to the flock around 3 weeks ago which at the time did not effect my egg production. My new birds are not quite POL yet.

I feed my birds a mixture of Layers Pellets and corn, they have 2 large runs which I rotate so they always have grass to run around. There dropings seem fine, so Im at a loss to why they have just stopped. Could it be the weather as its been very wet here in Norfolk.

I hope someone can advice. If they dont start laying soon they will be heading for the Sunday lunch.

poultrygeist

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51 »
Blimey ! ...there's no slacking on your plot !  :shock:

Are they moulting Andy ??

That would be a reason for non-production. Don;t know if the new birds may have stressed them for a bit. Hopefully someone else can advise before they meet a sticky end.

Rob 8)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 13:39 »
Yep, I would go with coming into moult.

Vember

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 13:41 »
Have you checked for lice????

Especially after introducing new stock ?

Sarah

Andy999

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 21:05 »
Hi, this may sound stupid but how do I know when they are coming into moult ? Are there more lose feather within their run.

I have watched them for around half an hour today and they seem to be acting  normal, no pecking or scratching as if they have mites or flees and no excesive cleaning.

I have several books which dont seem to touch on moulting.What would be the behaviour prior or during moult?

Also would mites/flee prevent laying.

As you may tell Im not a life long poultry keeper.

poultrygeist

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 21:11 »
Hi Andy.

You'd have to actually closely examine them to find mites.

If you pick them up and check round the vent there may be small creatures moving about.

You can read about it all here http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

If you check inside the coop, especially in the nestbox and at the ends of the perch, you may find tiny spider like creatures. If the chickens' combs are a good dark red and their tails are up and they're lively, they should be ok.

If they're moulting, you'll see a few feathers lying about and the odd feather poking out at a funny angle.

It's the right time of year for it, but mites are a constant possibility.

Rob 8)

Vember

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 21:22 »
Some new girls I had earlier this year weren't laying, I found Lice!!

As soon as they'd gone I had eggs popping out all over the place :)

Sarah :)

Andy999

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 20:47 »
Many thanks for your advice especially Poultrygeist, I believe the hens are in moult.Checked on them on my return from work and have notice quite a few lose feathers around the run. I will c heck each bird tomorrow especially around the vents.
Once again thanks for great advice and knowledge

poultrygeist

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 20:53 »
You're more than welcome Andy. I hope we've saved their bacon (or chicken :? ).

To be honest, I don't know a lot, but I'm good at repeating what I read from others. I guess we all share it around until we become experts.  :)

Hope to see more of you and some photos of your hens.

Rob 8)

jack russell

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 20:58 »
You could always try to bribe them to lay just stick a quid coin in the nest box :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

mumsy

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 20:34 »
8 months seems a bit young to moult, usually around 18 months.

Bassingham19

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:53 »
Hi all,

Read with interest the comments reference lice. I have 4 Buffs and 2 Marans which are 20/18 weeks respectively. Should they be laying by now? Have checked for lice just in case and no sign of it. Ta!

Kate and her Ducks

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:57 »
Probably still quite young to have started from what I hear. They'll start when they want too!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

poultrygeist

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 17:48 »
Hi Bassingham.

You might need to wait another few weeks yet. There are hens that lay as early as 18 weeks apparently, but the average seems to be about 24-26 weeks.

Rob 8)

Vember

No eggs AGAIN
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 18:08 »
Hi Bassingham

Welcome to the forums :D

I agree with Rob,
Buff Orps & Marans aren't as quick at maturing as some hens. So I think you'll be waiting a while yet :)

Sarah :)

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 37 queries.